Free Fillable Forms e-File FAQs
- General Information
- System Requirements
- Known Fillable Forms Program Issues
- Using Your Fillable Forms Account
- Preparing & e-Filing Your Fillable Forms Return
- Corrections, Rejections & Errors
- Refunds & Tax Due Payments
- Printing Your Fillable Forms Return
- How to Get Help
What is State Fillable Forms?
State Fillable Forms is a free online (forms based) tool that enables you to:
- Fill in your tax information online just like completing a paper return
- Prepare your Virginia resident income tax return and schedules
- Perform basic mathematical calculations
- e-file your Virginia income tax return, or
- Print your tax return for recordkeeping and filing
Fillable Forms is the tool for you if you are comfortable filling out the forms and schedules without software help or assistance.
Fillable Forms provides taxpayers with a comparable experience to paper forms online with the computer. This free forms-based program is made available by the Virginia Department of Taxation (Department) through the State Fillable Forms program.
How is State Fillable Forms different from tax software?
State Fillable Forms is a simple electronic equivalent of paper forms. It provides basic mathematical calculations and basic field error checking. It does not ask about or explain tax situations, automatic calculations, extensive error checking. The program provides forms for the Virginia 760 resident state return only, while most tax software provides federal and state.
Can I use State Fillable Forms to prepare and e-file my federal tax return?
No. If you want to prepare and file your federal income tax return, choose an e-File program that allows you to prepare both the state and federal return together. Review e-File options for the one that best suits your needs.
Do I have to create a new account each year?
Yes. The State Fillable Forms software tool does not retain your account information for future tax years.
How is it different from choosing a Free File tax software program?
There are no income limitations. Therefore, if you don't qualify for one of the Free File software products, you can use State Fillable Forms to file your resident return online.
There are certain limitations that will prevent the e-filing of the return, but you can still complete the return online in order to print and mail it into the Virginia Department of Taxation. See "What are the qualifications to use State Fillable Forms for Virginia?" under in this section of the FAQs for details.
What is the advantage over filling out a "pencil and paper" return?
State Fillable Forms allows taxpayers to complete their tax forms online over the internet. The State Fillable Forms also provides basic math calculations and basic field validations. The e-Filed returns are typically accepted or rejected by the Virginia Department of Taxation within 24 - 48 hours. Taxpayers receive their refunds in less time, compared to pencil and paper returns.
What forms are supported by State Fillable Forms for Virginia?
The Fillable Forms program supports the 2015 Virginia resident return and related schedules.
- Form 760
- Schedules ADJ, CR, FED, OSC and VAC
- Forms 760C and 760F
- Payment Forms 760-PMT and 760-PFF
- Wage Statements W2, W2-G, 1099-DIV, 1099-G, 1099-INT, 1099-MISC and 1099-R
What are the qualifications to use State Fillable Forms for Virginia?
There are no limitations for income, age or location. Anyone may use it to complete the 760 return and related schedule.
However, there are some limitations if you plan to e-file your return. You can use State Fillable Forms to compete the return/schedules, but then you will have to print it all, attach supporting documentation and mail the return to the Virginia Department of Taxation.
- More than 3 additions, subtractions, deductions or contributions.
- Any of the 10 credits requiring mailed documentation - See the Schedule CR instructions for details.
- If you are claiming credits for taxes paid to another state on the Schedule OSC - See the Schedule OSC instructions for details.
What are the minimum computer requirements for using State Fillable Forms?
State Fillable Forms works best under the following conditions:
- Windows: Pentium 4 - 3Ghz or equivalent
- Macintosh: PowerPC® G5 - 2GHz or faster Intel-based processor
Internet Browsers - oldest supported actual version, not an emulated version
|Internet Browser||Google Chrome||Mozilla Firefox||Safari||Internet Explorer|
|Windows 8, 7 and Vista||4.x||11.x||5.x||10.x (on Windows 8)|
|Windows XP Service Pack 2||4.x||11.x||5.x||-|
|Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)||4.x||11.x||5.x||-|
|Mac OS X 10.7 (Snow Leopard)||4.x||11.x||5.x||-|
|Mac OS X 10.7 (Leopard)||4.x||11.x||-||-|
General Computer Requirements
- Email address: required
- Printing: Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® 8.0 or higher
- Memory: 512 MB of RAM
- Internet Connection: High speed Internet
- Monitor: 1024 x 768 screen resolution
- Flash: Macromedia Flash 9.0 (or higher)
I'm unable to access State Fillable Forms due to problems with my computer and/or my internet. What do I do?
You may contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for internet problems.
Review the FAQs in this section of the page, to ensure your system meets all requirements and you are using a supported browser.
What should I do if my computer cannot print my return?
Check your system requirements.
You may need to disable your pop-up blockers.
- To print or view the instructions for a return / schedule, you must uncheck the Block Popup Windows options before starting.
- Review the next FAQ "How do I allow/enable pop-ups?" for details on disabling the option for your specific internet browser.
- You must also have installed Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0 version or higher to view the instructions / print your return.
- You can visit the Adobe Acrobat Reader website to install the free program.
- You may wish to uncheck the "Optional Offer" for another internet browser before installing Adobe.
Check your internet browser version.
- If you are using Internet Explorer version 8, you will not be able to print the return.
- Use Internet Explorer 10 (or higher) or another internet browser from the table in the prior "minimum computer requirements" FAQ.
How do I allow/enable pop-ups?
Instructions may vary depending on your internet browser and the browser's version. See your internet browser's "Help" for complete details.
What is a "known program issue"?
This is an issue that the Virginia Tax Department and the e-File vendor are working together to address. This is an issue with the Fillable Forms Program as opposed to a specific action done by customers (missing data, missing checkbox, etc.).
What about other issues and reject reasons?
Review the "Corrections, Rejections & Errors" section of the FAQs to address other reasons you may receive an error message, based on an action done with the return, missing information, etc.
How do I use the Fillable Forms Program?
For a step-by-step tutorial for the Fillable Forms Program, review the Fillable Forms User Guide. The FAQs on this page will also guide you in using the Fillable Forms Program.
How do I create a State Fillable Forms account?
After selecting State Fillable Forms on the Virginia Department of Taxation e-File page, continue to the "forms screen" to create an account.
- Enter a user ID and password to use each time you sign in to work on your tax return.
- Enter your email address to receive notifications of errors and acknowledgements of your tax return. You can track the status of it too.
Once you set up an account, you will receive a confirmation email with your user ID and a link to access the program. You can use this website link each time you access the State Fillable Forms site.
How do I change my account information?
After singing into your account, use the "Update Account Information" option located at the top right corner of the screen. From here you will be able to change the four items below. Click "Save" when finished.
- User ID
- Security question
- Your e-mail address
Why do you need my e-mail address?
State Fillable Forms requires an e-mail address for taxpayers who will need to track the status of their returns via e-mail. After e-filing, taxpayers will receive an acknowledgement of successful filing, and then a message containing the return status from the Virginia Department of Taxation through the State Fillable Forms provider.
Returns are either accepted or rejected. This is important information, since if the return is rejected, it means that it has not been filed. You will need to fix the issue that caused your return to reject. Either e-file again or print and file by mail.
Can I change my e-mail?
Yes. Sign in to your State Fillable Forms account and edit your account information.
I didn't receive a confirmation email after my account was created. What should I do?
If you did not receive the confirmation email, it is possible that your spam filter is blocking the email. Check your email account for a spam folder and look for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each e-mail program and spam filter differs, so please check your email account or service provider for additional help. If you still have not received the e-mail after this step, contact the Department at (804) 367-8031.
What if I forget my password, user name or security questions?
Password or User ID
- Visit the main Fillable Forms screen ("Sign in Screen").
- Click on the "Forgot Username/Password?" link.
- Answer your security question correctly.
- Receive an email containing your new User ID or Password.
If you are unable to recover your User ID or Password because you do not remember your Security Question/Answer - you must create a new account and start over with your return.
If I need a form that isn't supported, can I still use State Fillable Forms to do my return?
No. Access the Virginia electronic filing options page to review other alternatives for electronically preparing and filing your return.
Can I use State Fillable Forms for filing a prior-year tax return?
No. Only the current tax year resident forms are available in State Fillable Forms.
Can I file using State Fillable Forms if my address is in a foreign country?
Yes, you can use State Fillable Forms if your address on Form 760 is in a foreign country; however, you cannot receive your refund through direct deposit or pay your tax due through direct debit if your bank account is with a foreign bank. Per federal banking regulations, the Virginia Department of Taxation does not these International ACH Transactions.
How secure is my information?
Your internet session and transmission of your state return will be encrypted in a secure environment. All of the tax information entered in State Fillable Forms is protected with industry-standard security or greater. When you e-file, the transaction is encrypted with the same technology used by banks in protecting online transactions. This means that your information is protected from any unauthorized access while it is transmitted to the Virginia Department of Taxation.
Where is my State Fillable Forms data stored?
How long will my State Fillable Forms be available?
State Fillable Forms for the current tax year will be available until mid-October of the current calendar year. You will be able to access your tax return through the last day you can file a tax return through the State Fillable Forms program for the current tax year. After that, your return will be backed up and then removed from the State Fillable Forms database. Sign in to your return with your user ID and password.
What happens if I start a return but don't come back and finish it?
Regardless of when you start your tax return, it remains accessible to you in the State Fillable Forms system through the end of the filing season. Once filing season ends, it will be removed from the State Fillable Forms database. Your incomplete return will not be filed or e-filed.
Are you able to delete my Fillable Forms data upon request?
No, the Virginia Tax Department cannot delete your data. However, you have the ability to delete your data by selecting the "Start Over" option and logging out of the return. This will clear any data previously entered in your tax return.
What do I need before starting?
- A copy of your 2015 federal tax return.
- All income and tax statements you received for 2015 (Examples include W-2, W-2G, 1099-G, 1099-MISC, and 1099-R.)
- Any 2015 estimated tax payment amounts
- If using direct deposit for a refund, or if using direct debit withdrawal to pay taxes owed, have your routing number and account number for your checking or savings account ready.
How do I navigate through the program?
You will use two basic elements: buttons and tabs.
Tips for Buttons
- Back Button - Do not use the Back button on your screen. Instead, click "Done With Form" to return to the previous screen.
- Add Button - You will see an "Add" button next to any line that has a form associated with it.
- Click the button to add that form to your return.
- Done With Form Button - After you have completed the forms, click "Done With Form" button.
- On the left side of your screen, view the list of forms completed that display you work on your tax return.
- You can click on any form in this list to re-open the form.
Tips for Tabs
- At the top of your screen, there are two tabs - one for the State Fillable Tax Forms, the other for e-filing your return.
- When you have completed all your forms, select the e-file tab to e-file your return.
How do I attach additional forms to my return?
To attach a form or schedule to your return:
- Click the "Add" button located at the line where the information from that form will go.
- Enter the information into the fillable form or schedule.
- Use the "Do the Math" button as needed.
- Click "Done with this Form" when finished.
IMPORTANT - Make sure your amounts reported on a schedule also successfully transfer to the related line on the 760 return. A form will not attach another form until there is a "link", as described in the steps above.
Click the "View / Add Forms" button located at the upper right corner and a list of all of the attached forms will display.
Are there required fields on the Fillable Forms?
Yes. You must enter your name, SSN, address, telephone number and personal income information. If you file electronically, complete all fields on the e-File worksheet.
Should I use dashes, dollar signs, commas or text when I enter tax return information?
No. Do not use dashes, dollar signs or commas.
When should I click the "Do the Math" button?
Click "Do the Math" after you complete each section of a form, as it will do calculations for you. If you cannot enter information into a certain field, it means the field is calculated for you.
What do the different colors mean?
- Blue - calculated fields
- Green - all other fields
- Red - messages to review
Why are only some of the fields calculated for me?
Fields that can be calculated with simple math are calculated automatically for you. However, if the calculation is conditional on other information, like filing status, the field is not calculated and must be entered manually by you.
How do I know which fields automatically calculate?
Automatically calculated fields (blue in color) will not allow you to enter information into them. When you click in the field, a flag will indicate the field is automatically calculated.
Why can't I enter information into a field?
If you're unable to enter information in a certain field, it means the field is calculated for you. Select the "Do the Math" button to run the calculations. Another possibility is that the form related to that field is not supported in State Fillable Forms.
I selected a button on one of my forms. How do I undo it?
If you select a radio button and can't "uncheck" it, double click on the selected button. This will undo what you originally selected.
I do not have to report a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. However, I have other income to report, may I still use State Fillable Forms?
Yes, but at the screen that reads, "Step #2, e-file Your Tax Forms", skip the requirement to add a Form W-2.
Instead, mark the checkbox labeled "Check the box if you do not have any of the above forms to enter" and continue completing the return information. The "above forms" referenced in the checkbox label include W-2s and 1099s.
How do I enter information for multiple W-2s and/or 1099s?
Before you enter withholding information into the Fillable Forms, manually add multiple W-2s and 1099s together. Enter that total on either Lines 20a and/or 20b.
- On the "E-file Your Tax Forms" tab, click the Add button (located at top of the screen next to the details for entering W-2s) and a window displays.
- At the bottom of that window, click Add another Form W-2 - Wage and Tax Statement, so you can enter the W-2 information.
Why do I have to fill in the information for Schedule Fed and Schedule Inc?
This information is necessary so that the Virginia Department of Taxation can match what you have filed on your federal return with the information provided on your state return. If your federal return included a Schedule C, C-EZ, F, form 2106, Form 2106-EZ, or Form 4562 this information is mandatory in order to e-file your return.
May I save my return and finish it later?
Yes. You will need to remember and enter your user ID and password for access your State Fillable Forms account.
I closed the "My Tax Forms" area, how do I get it back?
Select the "View / Add Forms" at the top of your screen.
What should I review on my return before I file it?
Your tax return could be rejected for incorrect or incomplete information. After you complete all the required information for electronic filing, click "Continue" and your tax return will be transmitted to the Virginia Department of Taxation.
To ensure that your tax return is accepted, perform all of the following actions.
- Enter your exemptions
- Enter your standard or itemized deductions
- Calculate and enter your tax amount
- Enter your direct deposit and direct debit information accurately
- Select the correct checkbox to receive your refund (direct deposit or check)
- Enter a 5-digit numeric PIN as your electronic signature
Will I be able to view my actual return before I e-file it?
Yes. We encourage you to review your data before submitting your return to make certain that all information is complete and accurate. This simple precaution will help you avoid mistakes that can delay your refund or result in correspondence from the Virginia Department of Taxation.
How do I know if Virginia Department of Taxation received my state return?
You will receive an email confirmation within 48 hours stating that your return was received by the Virginia Department of Taxation.
What information should I retain for my records?
After you submit your return, print a copy for your records. You should retain this along with other supporting documentation (Forms W-2, 1099, and other attachments) and your username, your password and electronic pin (signature).
Do I need to mail any other forms to the Virginia Department of Taxation?
No. If you e-file, you do not need to mail in forms, but you are required to keep your supporting documentation for three years from the due date of the return. If you choose to print and mail in the paper return, you must include all W-2 forms and any other information statements.
Can I save a copy of my return onto my computer?
Yes. To save an electronic copy, make sure your computer is set up to save your tax return in an electronic format. An example is changing your default printer to Adobe PDF, which allows you to capture (print) your return as an electronic copy.Other options exist to save an electronic copy. Review your computer set up for a method that works best for you. We also recommend keeping a printed copy in case you have computer issues later.
Do I need to do anything else after e-filing my return?
Yes, you should track your return to make sure the Virginia Department of Taxation accepts it.
- e-File the Return - If you entered your valid e-mail address in State Fillable Forms, you will receive acknowledgement of successful transmission and then acknowledgment that the Virginia Department of Taxation has accepted or rejected your return.
- Mail in the Paper Return - If you printed / filed your return(s), get your refund information about tax return through the Department's "Check Refund Status". You must provide these three pieces of information to review the status.
- Your SSN or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Tax year
- The exact whole dollar amount of your expected refund
What are some tips for avoiding common errors?
- Your SSN or Employee Identification Number (EIN) contain the correct number of digits,
- You do not enter invalid characters,
- The date and telephone number fields are formatted correctly and do not contain invalid characters,
- Your e-mail address is correct,
- The tax amount has been calculated; and
- Your deduction and exemption amounts have been calculated.
What if I enter the wrong information?
If you make an error such as entering the wrong data from a statement, delete the wrong information from the field and enter the correct information instead. If the form is no longer needed, click the "Remove This Form" button on the bottom of the Fillable Forms screen.
How do I correct an error?
You must access your State Fillable Forms account to correct any errors. The guide for "How to Resolve Errors" will also help you with the errors.
Access your account using link displayed in your "New Account Confirmation" email. This was the email sent by after you created your account. Select "Sign In / Create an Account" and enter your user ID and password.
I discovered a mistake after I e-filed. Can I get my return back?
No. Once your return is transmitted and accepted via e-File, it's the same as putting a letter in the mailbox - you can't get it back. If your return was accepted, you must file an amended return on paper to make a change. If your return was rejected, then you can make changes and resubmit your return electronically.
May I make changes after I have entered all my information?
Yes. After you have enter your information, you may go back and make corrections up until the point that you e-File the tax return. If your return is rejected during the e-file process you can log in, make the needed corrections and e-file the return again.
What do I do if I receive an email that my State Fillable Forms tax return was rejected?
It is your responsibility to enter all information completely and accurately. Before you begin, be sure to have all information you will need to complete your return. Always verify all information on your return before submitting it.
An e-filed return may be rejected for a variety of reasons. It is important to resolve the issue that caused the rejection. Once that is completed, you can then e-file again. If you can't resolve the issue or choose not to e-file, you need to print the return and file it by mail. For more information about where you should mail your Virginia state return, go to the Where to File page.
I received an email from the Virginia Department of Taxation with an error code. What does the error code mean? How do I fix them?
As mentioned earlier, if your return is rejected by the Virginia Department of Taxation, it means it has not been filed. Review the How to Resolve Errors reference guide to see common rejection reasons and what to do if you receive one of these reasons after e-filing via State Fillable Forms.
How do I fix mistakes or make changes after I've filed my return?
If you need to make changes before you e-file or print your return, review the entries on your forms and make the changes.
If you realize you made a mistake after you e-filed, you must wait until the return is either accepted or rejected by the Virginia Department of Taxation.
- If the e-filed return was rejected, correct the mistakes and the reason for rejecting and then e-file again.
- If the e-filed return was accepted, file an amended paper return with corrections.
- If you mailed the return, file an amended paper return corrections.
How do I check the status of my Refund? When will I get my Refund?
The length of time it takes to receive your refund depends on your filing method and refund preference.
You can get tax return refund information 24/7 from the Virginia Department of Taxation's "Where's My Refund" page or by calling (804) 367-2486. You must provide these three pieces of information to review the status.
- Your SSN or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Tax year
- The exact whole dollar amount of your expected refund.
If I owe money and can't pay right now, is there a payment plan available?
Paying your taxes in full and on time avoids unnecessary penalties and interest. However, if you cannot pay your taxes in full, file your return without the payment. When you receive a bill for the amount owed, contact the Virginia Department of Taxation Teleplan at (804) 440-5100 to set up a payment plan. QuickPay is available if you are able to pay the bill in full.
How do I pay a "Balance Due" tax return?
You have three options for paying the balance due on your Virginia state return:
- Bank Account (Direct Debit) - if you e-file your return, fill in the required banking information on the screen. If you print and mail your return, you can use the Virginia Department of Taxation's Online Services for Individuals, a free tax system that allows you to make "Web/Returns Payments" online directly from your bank account.
- Check - mail a check directly to
Virginia Department of Taxation
PO Box 760
Richmond, VA 23218-0760
- Credit Card - call Official Payments at 1-800-272-9829.
Do I have to pay to e-file or print my return?
No, e-filing and printing your Virginia tax return is free. You can print a copy of all required Virginia forms and supporting documents for your records for free.
I forgot to print my return before I e-filed. Can I get a copy?
Yes, return to your account and print your return. Print buttons are on the top and bottom of your screens. If you need a copy of your return after the e-filing season ends, contact the Virginia Department of Taxation at (804) 367-8031.
What if I can't (or don't want to) e-file? Can I just print my return and mail it in?
Yes, State Fillable Forms supports both e-filing and printing your return to mail to the Virginia Department of Taxation.
The advantages of e-file are that you will receive your refund within 1 week with Direct Deposit and within 2 weeks if you prefer a Refund Debit Card. If you owe, you can file early and warehouse your direct debit payment for the due date. If you decide not to e-file your state return, go to the "When & Where To File" page.
Why do the forms I printed look different from the forms on the screen?
Computer generated forms often look different from what you see on the screen (and from what you may be used to seeing). These computer generated forms are designed to more efficiently process through the Virginia Department of Taxation's systems. The printed version produced by State Fillable Forms can still be processed by the Virginia Tax Department.
If I have a question about a tax law or about how to fill out my tax return, what can I do?
- Refer to the Form 760 and schedule instructions.
- Call Customer Services toll-free, at (804) 367-8031.
If I need help with a line number on the tax return/schedule, what should I do?
Each line of the main tax return form contains a link to any form, schedule or instructions related to that line. Click on the link for additional help. You may also refer to specific Virginia Department of Taxation instructions for the relevant form or schedule.
I e-filed my return with State Fillable Forms, but I didn't receive an acknowledgment email. Why?
Acknowledgment emails are sent within 48 hours after e-filing a return via State Fillable Forms. This email advises if the return has been accepted or rejected. If you do not see this email in your inbox, follow these steps:
- Verify you are viewing the same email account that you used to create a State Fillable Forms account.
- Review your email's spam filter to ensure that email@example.com is on your e-mail safe senders list. Each e-mail program and spam filter differs, so please check your e-mail account or service provider for additional help.
- If you still have not received the e-mail after these steps, contact Customer Services at (804) 367-8031.
I need help signing into / accessing my State Fillable Forms tax return. Who do I call?
Taxpayers who experience technical difficulties with State Fillable Forms can contact the Virginia Department of Taxation at (804) 367-8031.