VATAX Online for Individuals FAQs
View e-File and Free File FAQs for information about electronic filing your personal income tax return.
What VATAX Online services are available for Virginia individual income tax filers?
- Make a filing Extension payment
- Make Estimated tax payments
- Send a secure and confidential email to us through Secure Messaging
- Make a bill payment using QuickPay
- Make a return payment using Web Payments
- Check your Refund Status
Who can use VATAX Online?
You must have filed at least one of the following tax returns with the Virginia Department of Taxation in order to enroll in VATAX Online:
- 760 Individual Resident Income Tax Return
- 760PY Part Year Resident Individual Income Tax Return
- 763 Nonresident Individual Income Tax return
When can I use VATAX Online?
VATAX Online is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week except for maintenance periods.
How do I begin?
To Enroll as a New user, you will need:
- Your Social Security Number.
- Select a tax year for which you have filed a Virginia income tax return.
- Enter the refund or tax due amount you claimed on the tax year's return you have chosen.
- Enter the 5-digit zip code which the tax department has on record.
- You will be asked to create a password and provide your email address (for confirmations, filing reminders and if you should forget your password).
To Login as a Returning User, you will need:
- Your social security number.
- The password you created.
What should I do if I do not remember the refund or tax due amount for the year I have selected to signup with?
If you cannot locate your income tax return or have trouble finding the refund or tax due, please call Customer Service at (804) 440-2550 for assistance.
How much does it cost to use VATAX Online?
There is no cost to use VATAX Online!
What type of equipment and software is required?
You will need a computer with a standard browser and access to the Internet. View additional details in our computer compatibility information.
Can I check the status of my refund regardless of whether I filed on paper or electronically (eFile)?
Yes, go to VATAX Online for Individuals and click on the Refund Status button. Enter your social security number and expected tax refund.
How soon after I file my return can I check the status of my refund?
- If you e-Filed your return, please allow 1 week if you requested a Direct Deposit or 2 weeks if you requested a Debit Card.
- If you filed your return on paper, please allow 6 weeks if you requested a Direct Deposit or 7 weeks if you requested a Debit Card.
Whom do I contact if I have a question on VATAX Online for Individuals?
- Send a secure message by clicking on the Secure Messaging link.
- Call Customer Service (Individual Online Services) at 804-440-2550.
I cannot remember my password. What should I do?
Click on "Forgot My Password?" on the login page and a temporary password will be emailed to you within a matter of minutes.
Can I reset my password?
You can change the password by logging in and clicking on "Change Password".
Is it safe to file and pay taxes over the Internet?
VATAX Online has many layers of security. This includes processes and procedures to stop unauthorized access, validate appropriate participants, and ensure the integrity of the system. All transmissions use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology, which is the industry-standard protocol for secure, Web-based communications.
VATAX Online applications use 128-bit SSL encryption on data passing from the user to the application. This is the highest level of encryption generally available today. The information cannot be read without the specific decryption key.
What is Direct Payment?
Direct Payment is the electronic transfer (withdrawal) of an authorized payment from your checking or savings account on a specified payment date. Direct payment is a safe, secure, accurate and on-time payment method.
How can I pay quarterly estimated payments using VATAX Online for Individuals?
Login and select the Estimated Payments link. You can make payments for any quarter of the current tax year. You can make your payment on today's date or you may specifiy a date in th future to have your payment debited from your bank account. We call this "warehousing" your payment. If you do not know what the estimated payment amount is, you can use the worksheet to assist in determining the amount to be paid. All quarters (not past the due date of the quarter) will be displayed and available for your use.
You can set up payments for all quarters of the current year at one time! Simply select the quarter, enter the payment and date of payment along with your bank routing number and bank account number and your payment(s) are submitted on the date you selected. If you chose email reminders, you will receive a reminder 5 days in advance of any scheduled tax payments.
Note: You can modify a warehoused estimated payment up until your scheduled date for payment. Click on the warehouse link that appears up until that date only.
How can I make a Filing Extension payment?
Login and select the Make a Filing Extension Payment link on your home page. You can pay an extension at any time before the due date of the current income tax return.
Note: An extension allows only for an extended time in which to submit an income tax return. The tax due (if any) on a return must be paid on or before the due date of the return. Penalty and interest may be due if timely payment of any tax liability is not made properly.
You can schedule your net tentative tax payment for today or any time up to the due date of the return. Simply enter the payment and date of payment along with your bank routing number and bank account number. If you chose email reminders, you will receive a reminder 5 days in advance of any scheduled tax payments.
Note: You can modify a warehoused extension payment up until your scheduled date for payment. Click on the warehouse link that appears up until that date only.