Business iFile FAQs
What is Business iFile?
Virginia's Business iFile system is a free and secure method to file and pay state taxes electronically. Business iFile will ask questions related to business amounts, schedules, payments, etc. and after you enter in your answers - submit it electronically to the Tax Department.
In addition to file/pay features, your Business iFile User ID / Password give you access to your business’s account history (up to 14 months) with the ability to also update important business address/contact/liability details.
What are the benefits of using Business iFile?
- Free and secure way to quickly file and pay taxes online
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Performs all calculations for you
- Schedule/Warehouse your ACH Debit payment up to the return’s due date
- Save a Draft to submit later
- Immediate confirmation
- Filing reminder emails
- View up to 14 months of account history
- Maintain accurate information about your business via your Business Profile
- Save on your mailing time and postage
- Help save taxpayer dollars by reducing paper processing and increasing efficiency in the Commonwealth
What taxes can I file and pay with Business iFile?
Reminder – Only the taxes you have been registered to file and pay through iFile will be displayed for you.
- Sales and Use Tax
- ST-9 with Schedule ST-9B and ST-9R
- ST-9CO with Schedule ST-9B
- ST-8 with Schedule ST-8B and ST-8R
- ST-8 with Schedule ST-6B
- Employer Withholding Tax
- Corporation Income Tax
- Insurance Premiums License Tax – 800ES
- VEC Unemployment Tax – FC-20 and FC-21
How secure is my information?
Your Internet session and Business iFile submission is encrypted in a secure environment, like the Virginia Tax Department's other online systems. This means that your information is protected from any unauthorized access when it is submitted. You may also read about our privacy and security policies.
Do I need software or special Internet setting on my computer to use Business iFile?
All you need to use Business iFile is a computer with a standard browser and access to the Internet. You can ensure your computer and Internet browsers are up to date and meet basic requirements. You will need a printer if you wish to print a copy of your Business iFile records. For more information, please visit our Site Help page.
What do I need before starting?
- New Business – If you have not registered with the Virginia Tax Department, you must register first your business using our online iReg system. Once registered via iReg, you are automatically enrolled to use Business iFile.
Registered Business – you may Enroll to use Business iFile with the following information to ensure only authorized representatives of your business are provided access to confidential information pertaining to your business.
- 15 digit tax account number
- zip code of your business mailing address
- total amount due on most recently filed return
Who is not eligible to use Business iFile?
- Tax account is closed – You may be able to file unfiled periods that are less than 14 months old.
- Tax account period is not yet liable – business is not open yet or beginning liability date has not started
- Tax account has a filing frequency of Occasional
Where do I file/pay after logging into Business iFile?
Click on "File/Pay Taxes" and then click on the tax type return or payment you wish to make. When you click on the "File Now" action, the screens you need to file a specific filing period will display.
How can I tell if a period has been filed yet?
An unfiled period will display "Not Filed" and a filed period will display "Details". This also applies if you chose to file/pay with a method other than Business iFile.
Please note that a filed VA-6 period may display "Pending" until the Tax Department’s finishes processing it.
Can I import or upload data into Business iFile?
No. Business iFile does not allow you to import or upload data.
The Tax Department’s Web Upload system supports this option. Web Upload allows you to file and pay tax returns by uploading a file with specific information. This is an ideal solution for tax preparers who file for more than one client, multiple sales tax business locations to report, etc. See the Web Upload FAQs for details.
Can I file a zero tax return?
Yes. You are required to file a return based on your filing frequency.
If you have no liability for a particular period, you must still file a zero return. Select the tax type, the filing period and then enter zero (0) in the applicable amount fields. You may then "File the Return".
Can I amend my return with Business iFile?
No. Business iFile only allows you to file and pay your one return for a tax period.
If you have already filed a return and wish to amend it please submit an amended return on paper or see the eForms FAQs to determine if the eForms system supports your amending needs.
I saved a Draft of my return. What happens if I don't come back and finish it?
The return will remain as a Draft until you come back to complete and file it. There is no penalty for saving a Draft and not returning to it, but you are still responsible for timely filing and paying your tax return with the Virginia Tax Department.
How do I know my tax return and payment was filed? Will I get confirmation?
The status of your tax return is displayed on the tax type account screen. Visit "File/Pay Taxes" and "File/Pay (tax type)" to view the status. Once the return is filed, the status will change from "File Now" to "Details".
You will also receive a confirmation number that starts with "B" to indicate your tax return and payment was filed through Business. Be sure to save and/or print this confirmation as filing proof.
Are there other types of payment options available in Business iFile?
No. Only bank Debit payments are available within Business iFile.
You may however file your tax return using Business iFile and then pay the tax using an ACH Credit authorized through your bank. For more information on making an ACH Credit please see our Electronic Payment Guide.
What Bank Account Information is required?
Before you can make a payment in Business iFile, you must define your bank account information and a bank contact. Visit "Manage Your Account" and "Update Bank Account" to provide your bank's Routing Number and your Bank Account Number information.
You may define up to two different bank accounts for each registered tax type. For example, some customers wish to pay their sales tax from one bank account and their withholding tax from another bank account.
If you changed banks or opened a new bank account, you must update the bank account information. The new information will be reflected immediately; however, if any pending Warehoused payments exist from your old account, those payments will not be made.
Can I choose a future date for my payment?
If you file your return before the due date, you may select a date in the future to have your payment debited from your bank account. This is called "Warehousing" your payment.
The selected payment date must be between the current date and the due date of the return. The warehouse option is not available for any return filed after the due date.
When will the payment be withdrawn from my bank account?
You can specify any date up to and including the due date of the return. If the due date falls on a holiday or weekend, the funds will be withdrawn from the bank account on the next business day.
Can I change or delete the payment once it's been submitted in Business iFile?
If the payment date has passed – you cannot delete the payment.
- You can call your bank and ask to have a stop payment placed on the transaction.
- Most banks will charge a fee to stop a payment.
If the payment was warehoused – you can delete the payment prior to 2pm on the date you chose to have the account drafted.
- On the Home page, select the tax return and change the amount of the payment to $0.
- Select "Pay Now" so the change will be accepted.
- You must still make a payment in order to satisfy to amount due for that filing period.
What can I update in my Business Profile with Business iFile?
Business iFile allows you to manage your account online. It is important to maintain accurate information about your business.
Update Address information
- Primary Business Physical Address
- Primary Business Mailing Address
- Tax Type specific mailing addresses
Update Contact information
- Contact person
- Primary Business Contact
- Tax type contacts
- Email address
- Phone number
- Fax number
You may also:
- Add or Update Responsible Officers associated with your business.
- Print a copy of your Sales Tax Certificate.
Can I add or close tax types and business locations?
Yes – these options exist under the “Update Your Business Profile” menu in Business iFile.
- End Liability for a Tax Account – Ex. You no longer have any paid employees and you then end your liability (responsibility) for Employer Withholding Tax.
- Add a Business Location – Ex. Your business grows to open another business location and you then add that new location to your account. Multiple locations can also be consolidated so that you file one return to represents all locations.
- Add a new Tax Type to Existing Account – Ex. You are only registered for Sales Tax and later decide to hire employees; you can then add Employee Withholding tax to your account.
- Close a Business Location or Close a Business completely – Inform the Tax Department when you close your business, so we can mark your account inactive. Once inactive, we do not expect future tax return filings from your business.
How do I report ownership and business name changes?
- Change in Ownership of an existing business - the current owner must "Close" their Business and the new owner must "Register" as a New Business
- Change in Legal Business Name or Trading As Name, the owner must complete Form R-3
How do I manage the users for my Business iFile account?
The majority of users are considered the "Master User" of their account and they control who else can have access to the account. A Master User may assign add, delete or modify users of their Business iFile account.
The other two types of users are Approver and Preparer and each access is explained below. Each user type (Master, Preparer, Approver) has their own User ID and password.
Master – Each company can have only one Master User.
- Defines the access rights for all other Business iFile users from that company
- Must be authorized to file and pay state taxes for the business
- Defines the bank account information for paying taxes through ACH Debit
- Can perform all of the functionality of the Approver and Preparer types
- Can set-up six additional account users designated with Approver or Preparer abilities
NOTE: To add or modify users, click on "Manage Your Account" and "User Maintenance".
Preparer – Users can only prepare returns.
- Cannot file returns or authorize the payment of taxes due.
- Can automatically generate an email to notify an Approver of a completed return ready for review
Approver – Users can file and pay company taxes.
- Has the ability to: modify input performed by the Preparer class, submit the tax form and complete the payment
- Can also perform all of the functions of the Preparer class
May I change my Business iFile password?
Yes. It is important to periodically change your password.
A strong password is an important security tool and periodically changing your password will further help to protect your information. Never give your password out to anyone.
Why is it important to update my email address?
Please keep your email address up to date. We use your email address to:
- send you filing reminders 5 days before the due date
- send you filing confirmations
- provide you with a Temporary password if you forget your password
Can I send / receive a Secure Message via Business iFile?
Yes. Secure Messaging is a safe and secure method for communicating with the Virginia Department of Taxation regarding specific information about your account.
All messages sent from you or to you are encrypted using the highest level of commercially available encryption. All messages will remain in your Business iFile mailbox for one year.
Can I link my TAX and VEC accounts?
Yes – you may link the account in Business iFile, if your TAX and VEC accounts have the same FEIN. This allows you to review all of your accounts at one time.
Accounts can be linked regardless of user type. Accounts can be unlinked for any of the following reasons: User information was changed (User ID, Password, etc.), User was deleted by the "Master user" or Account is closed.