Virginia Tax Refund Debit Card
In 2015, the General Assembly approved language that eliminated the debit card option and now requires all tax refunds to be issued by direct deposit or by check.
Tax refunds previously issued on a MasterCard® debit card are still valid and taxpayers may continue to use those cards.
- Getting Started
- How to use the Debit Card and Avoid Fees
- Unclaimed Property
- Contact Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Fee Schedule
- Go Program® Website
- MoneyPass® ATM Locator
- MasterCard® Bank Locator
- Sample Virginia Tax Refund Debit Card
- Notice of Change
- Sample Card Carrier PDF -- Español PDF
Activate Your Card
Before using your Refund Debit Card, you must activate it through the Go Program®.
As part of the activation process: you will be asked to verify who you are by providing certain information from your tax return and to create a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN). The PIN you select will be known only to you and protects your card from being used by someone else. Do not write your PIN on your card and do not share it with anyone else.
To activate your card:
- Call the Go Program automated phone system at (855) 409-0580 and follow the prompts, or
- Visit the Go Program® website. You will need to set up an online account first and then activate your card. These are two separate online processes.
Your Refund Amount
When you activate your card, you will be provided with the card balance. This was the amount of your income tax refund. Funds will be available immediately upon activating your card.
If the refund amount was not what you expected, you should have received a letter explaining why the amount is different. If you do not receive this letter, please contact the Virginia Department of Taxation (Department). Learn why your refund may have been reduced.
If you filed your tax return using the "Married Filing a Joint Return" status, you received two cards, one issued in each spouse's name. There is only one card account, and each card provides full access to the joint refund.
Each card must be independently activated before that card can be used to access the funds. The activation of a debit card by one spouse will not automatically activate the other spouse's card. All of the services and fees are per card account and not per card. It is not necessary to activate both cards. One spouse may access all the funds with their card.
- Use your Refund Debit Card for free anywhere in the U.S. where MasterCard® cards are accepted to make purchases, pay a bill online, buy groceries, etc. You can also receive cash back at cash registers for no fee.
- Withdraw cash at any MasterCard® member bank. It does not have to be a bank that you have an account with; it can be any MasterCard® member bank. Look for the MasterCard® brand logo on the door. You are entitled to one free teller-assisted cash withdrawal but only at a MasterCard® member bank. Additional teller withdrawals will have a fee. To withdraw all your money, have your card balance with you when you visit the bank.
- Withdraw cash from any MoneyPass® ATM. You are entitled to unlimited free ATM withdrawal of funds from a MoneyPass® ATM per month. Subsequent ATM withdrawals within the same month will have a fee as will ATM withdrawals from a non-MoneyPass® ATM. Look for the MoneyPass® symbol on the ATM or use our MoneyPass® locator to find one near you. Please note that some ATM owners may impose their own convenience fee or surcharge. These fees are in addition to any Go Program® fees you may incur.
- Transfer funds from the debit card to your personal bank account. You are entitled to unlimited free transfers of funds from the debit card. This service is only available through the Go Program® website or by calling the Go Program® automated phone system at (855) 409-0580.
NOTE: Do not go to your bank to request this transfer. Please allow 2-3 days for funds to be transferred.
If you do not activate your Refund Debit Card within 12 to 18 months of the card's issuance, your tax refund will be turned over to the Virginia Department of the Treasury's Unclaimed Property Division (UCP).
If your tax refund is greater than $100, prior to your tax refund being turned over to UCP, you will be sent a letter from the Go Program® informing you that you need to activate your card prior to a certain date. If you do not activate your card by the date, or request a replacement card, your tax refund will then be turned over to UCP.
If you receive a letter from the Go Program® regarding a Refund Debit Card that has not been activated, follow the instructions in the letter by the date indicated. If your tax refund is turned over to UCP, you must go to www.vamoneysearch.org to claim your tax refund.
If you have questions about your tax refund, contact the Department.