What is iReg?
iReg is an online application that allows businesses to register for Virginia taxes via the Internet.
What types of business entities can I register from this Web site?
You may register the following businesses:
- Sole Proprietor
- Subchapter S Corporation
- Multi-State Corporation
- Non-profit Corporation
- Limited Liability Company
- Government Agency
- Other (e.g. church, union, club)
What types of Virginia state taxes can I register from this web site?
You may register with the Department of Taxation for the following Virginia state taxes:
- Retail Sales and Use Tax (In-State Dealers, i.e., dealers located in Virginia)
- Use Tax (Out-of-State Dealers, i.e., dealers located outside of Virginia)
- Employer Withholding Tax
- Corporation Income Tax
- Business Consumer's Use Tax
- Dealer's Aircraft Sales and Use Tax
- Motor Vehicle Fuel Sales Tax
- Tire Tax
- Vending Machines Sales Tax
- Dealer's Watercraft Sales and Use Tax
- Litter tax
- Corn Assessment
- Cotton Assessment
- Egg Excise
- Forest Products
- Peanut Excise
- Sheep Assessment
- Small Grains Assessment
- Soft Drinks Excise
- Soybean Assessment
- Virginia Unemployment Tax (administered by the Virginia Employment Commission)
Who is eligible to use iReg?
- New companies that have never been assigned a Virginia business account number.
- New specialty dealers for flea markets, gun shows, and art/craft shows. (Specialty dealers such as Avon, Amway and other similar dealers cannot register using this online registration.)
- The person registering a business using iReg must be a responsible officer of the business and must be authorized to register the business.
If your business does not qualify for online registration, complete and file Form R-1, Virginia Department of Taxation Business Registration Application.
How much does it cost to use iReg?
There is no cost to use iReg. No purchase of software is required.
When can I use iReg?
iReg is available twenty four hours a day, seven days a week.
What type of equipment and software is required?
View our browser and computer compatibility requirements.
Is it safe to register for taxes over the Internet?
View our Privacy and Security Policy.
Can I make changes to my registration online?
Yes, once you have completed your Registration you may return at anytime to manage your account. You may update contact and address information, add a new business location, close a location, close your business, update responsible officers of your company, print a copy of your sales tax certificate or change your tax filing responsibilities.
What should I do if I have to log out of iReg online before I have finished my registration?
Select "Save as Draft" on any of the registration pages and then "Logout." When you are ready to continue your registration where you left off, Login as a Returning User to continue.
I have recently registered for taxes online. How soon can I start filing my taxes online?
Immediately. You will automatically be enrolled in Business iFile and can begin filing your business taxes.
Who can I contact for assistance in registering my business?
Contact us using one of the following options.