- Web Upload TAX Forms
- Web Upload VEC Forms
- Online Service Options
- TAX Server to Server Processing
- Notice Regarding Electronic Banking Transactions
Web Upload is a free online filing service and it is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Web Upload is a quick and easy way to file and pay Employer Withholding, income tax statements (W-2/1099-R), Sales Tax and Partnership VK-1 Schedules to the Virginia Department of Taxation (TAX).
Web Upload also accepts the Unemployment Insurance Tax Reports FC-20 and FC-21 as supported by the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC). (See the Web Upload VEC Forms section for details.)
Web Upload is "file driven" with the ability to save all return and payment information into a single file to send to the applicable agency. In addition, you no longer fill out and file the paper return/schedule. Similar types of systems may be referred to as "bulk filing" or "bulk uploading".
The system supports Excel, fixed-width (column based) and delimited files. Zipped or compressed files are accepted via Web Upload. Logging into the Web Upload system allows you to view the file layouts for each of the supported forms. Sample files can be viewed for the file layouts that use the Excel and delimited formats.
Benefits to Web Upload include instant validation and feedback on your file content. You will know right away when your file is accepted or if there are any errors. You also have the ability to schedule (or warehouse) files for submission on a future date up to the due date of the return.
You can submit return and payment information for multiple customers or periods in a single file, which is especially beneficial for tax professionals and payroll companies who file on behalf of multiple clients. The service is also a great option for small business owners who prepare return(s) using tax preparation software or use programs such as Excel. For those who want to file online for only one company or one filing period, you have the option of using eForms, Business iFile or Web Upload. (See the Online Service Options section for details.)
Withholding - the due date of Form VA-6 and supporting documents (W-2s and 1099s) is January 31.
- VA-5 Monthly/Quarterly/Seasonal Withholding Return
- VA-15 Semi-weekly Withholding Return
- VA-16 Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation
- VA-6 Annual Withholding Reconciliation
- Electronic Filing Guidelines - important dates and additional Web Upload requirements
- W-2 (EFW2/SSA) Layout - RE/RS records, layout and required fields for the text file
- W-2 (Excel) Layout - Employer/Employee records, layout and required fields for the Excel file
- 1099-R Layout - Payer A/Payee B records, layout and required fields for the text file
- 1099-MISC Layout - Payer A/Payee B records, layout and required fields for the text file
- Revised ST9 Sales and Use Tax Return (Single Locality) file layout
- Revised ST9 Sales and Use Tax Return (Multiple Localities) file layout
- Revised ST8 Out-of-State Use Tax Return file layout.
Fiduciaries, Estates ,Trusts and Unified Nonresident Filers
- 770ES Estimated Income Tax Payment Vouchers for Estates, Trusts and Unified Filers
- 770IP Fiduciary and Unified Nonresident Automatic Extension Payment Voucher
- 770PMT Fiduciary Income Tax Return Payment
- Tax Year 2010 is the first tax year accepted and all Web Upload files types are supported.
- Companies are encouraged to use PTE e-File for all other Pass-Through Entity forms and schedules.
The Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) supports filing and paying Unemployment Insurance Tax Reports electronically via Web Upload.
The VEC accepts Forms FC-20 and FC-21 via the ICESA, EFW2/MMREF and Excel and Delimited file types.
Visit their VEC Reporting Options page for full details.
Questions for VEC Forms must be sent to webuploadVEC@vec.virginia.gov.
Compare Online Service Options for Businesses to determine which electronic system best fits your filing needs.
Web Upload offers the option of uploading and submitting your return and payment information through "server to server" processing to the Virginia Department of Taxation. This option may be advantageous to companies filing on behalf of a high volume of customers. Your server will communicate with TAX's server and provide files with return and payment information as detailed in the Web Upload TAX Server to Server Specifications.
You must still register to use the service. Mark the "Server to Server" check box and provide your server's external IP Address in order to finish the registration process. A Business Administrator will contact you within 10 - 15 business days to provide you with complete login and password information.
If your bank does not honor any ACH Debit or ACH Credit payment to us on or after July 1, 2013, TAX may impose a penalty of $35 as authorized by Code of Virginia § 2.2-614.1. This penalty would be in addition to other penalties such as for late payment of a tax.
In addition, federal banking regulations have imposed additional reporting requirements on all electronic banking transactions that directly involve a financial institution outside of the territorial jurisdiction of the United States at any point in the process. These are called International ACH Transactions (IAT).
At present, TAX does not support IAT.
If an international transaction is processed by TAX as a domestic transaction, it may be rejected by the taxpayer's bank, subjecting the taxpayer to late penalties.
By instructing TAX to process the electronic banking transactions contained in your uploaded files, you are certifying that the transactions do not directly involve a financial institution outside of the territorial jurisdiction of the United States at any point in the process.
If any transaction is IAT, payment will need to be made using a paper check or by ACH Credit. For information about ACH Credit, please refer to TAX's Electronic Payment Guide.
Have Any TAX Web Upload Questions?