Electronic W-2 and 1099 Filing Guidelines
You are required to file W-2 statements and 1099 statements with the Virginia Department of Taxation (Department) when those statements reflect Virginia income tax withheld.
- The due date for submitting W-2s and 1099s is January 31.
- Employers must submit the W-2s and 1099s electronically.
The Department offers two free and secure options to submit W-2, 1099-R and 1099-MISC data. Each overview section helps determine the best option to fit your needs.
- Web Upload Overview - uses files, multiple types accepted, often created using software
- eForms Overview - fillable electronic forms, no files/sign up required, small number of employees/payees
- PDF versions, files with images or magnetic media (CDs/Diskettes) are not accepted.
- The Annual / Final Withholding Summary (Form VA-6 / Form VA-6H) is submitted separately from W2/1099 data.
NOTE: You are required to use one of the Online Services to submit it by January 31.
- Employers unable to electronically file W-2/1099 data at this time may fax in a temporary waiver request.
Web Upload is a free and secure file-based system. This means that the W-2 and the 1099 data you submit must be on a file that matches the set formats and layouts, whether a text file or a spreadsheet is used to file electronically.
The Web Upload W-2/1099 Guide will explain:
- How to use Web Upload to file your W-2 and 1099 data
- Which type of file to use
- How to format each type of file
If additional information or assistance is needed, please send an email to: WebUpload@tax.virginia.gov.
Virginia's eForms system is a free and secure system based on fillable electronic forms. This means you key your information into the eForm and submit it electronically to the Department. eForms allow you to file directly from your web browser, all without signing up.
The eForms W-2/1099 Guide will explain:
- How to use eForms to file your W-2 and 1099 data
- How Authentication works via the Business iFile and eForms systems
- How to save and/or print a summary of your submitted data as an Adobe PDF
If additional information or assistance is needed, please Contact Us.
While Virginia accepts records through the Combined Federal / State Filing Program (CF/SF) for 1099s (per federal Publication 1220), we also request that you submit your 1099-R and 1099-MISC data directly to the Department by January 31 via Web Upload or eForms.
Virginia makes this request because withholding records are used by the Department in fighting refund fraud and identity theft; the data submitted through the CF/SF program is not received by Virginia until the end of June (or later), which is months after the peak of filing season.
NOTE - The Combined Fed / State program does not include W-2 statements – you must always submit W-2 data directly to the Department.
If you participate in the Combined Fed / State Filing Program you must, by January 15, every year:
- notify the Department in writing of your intent to participate in the program, AND
- state whether or not you will also be submitting your 1099 data directly to the Department.
Please mail your intent to participate to the following address:
Virginia Department of Taxation
1099 Combined Fed/State Processing
PO Box 1278
Richmond, Virginia 23218-1278