Pass-through Entity (PTE) e-File
- PTE e-File Program Overview
- Using PTE e-File
- e-File Availablity
- PTE Tax Software
- Direct Debit and e-File
- How to Get Help
- PTE e-File FAQs
Beginning January 1, 2015, Pass-through Entities (PTE) are required to submit their returns and payments electronically. This is effective with Tax Year 2014 returns, return payments and withholding payments. The PTE e-File program also supports Tax Year 2013 original and amended PTE returns.
Virginia’s PTE e-File program works jointly with the IRS Federal/State e-File Program.
This allows the federal and state PTE tax returns to be filed electronically through a vendor's website or a purchased software package. e-File software checks for completeness, corrects errors, generates the applicable schedules and electronically transmits the return and payment to the e-File processing systems.
The e-File program provides many benefits:
- Security & Confirmation - notification that the return was received and either accepted or rejected
- Convenient & Easy - available 24/7 with step-by-step instructions provided
- Accurate Processing - fewer errors due to review by e-File software
- One-Stop-Shop - prepare and file the federal and state return simultaneously
- Electronic Banking - convenience of Direct Debit for the tax payment owed
- Warehouse Payments - file now and select a later date for the Tax Department to debit the tax payment from your bank account
- Saves Paper & Time - no printing and mailing of paper returns
In order to successfully e-File you must use one of approved software products listed below.
You must also:
Verify that the software product supports the forms and tax year(s) that you want to file.
NOTE: Some products support federal and state filing and some products support only state filing.
- Ensure that your computer's operating system is compatible with the software chosen.
Be able to create a readable PDF for each required state attachment.
NOTE: This requires a scanner that scans documents into a PDF or another tool that allows you to save a file as a PDF.
You will receive an acknowledgement within 48 hours from when your return(s) is received and it will advise if the return is accepted or is rejected by the e-File System. In most cases, rejected returns can be re-transmitted after correcting the error that caused the rejection.
When an e-Filed return is rejected at the federal IRS level, Virginia does not receive the electronic copy of the data. Once the return is accepted at the federal IRS level, Virginia receives the electronic information and will supply its own acknowledgment of accepted or rejected.
A return must be transmitted and accepted by the due date of the return to be considered timely filed.
The PTE e-File system closes December 26, 2014 and will reopen in January 2015.
The following software products go through our approval process in order to process Virginia PTE tax returns through the Federal/State e-File program.
The Virginia Department of Taxation does not promote or endorse any particular online filing product. It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that a product meets their e-Filing needs. Approval by the Department only means that the vendor has met established software specifications.
Filing Reminders and Changes
Beginning January 1, 2015, all PTE tax returns must be filed electronically.
- This takes effect with Taxable Year 2014 returns and their tax due payments.
- PTEs that are unable to file and pay electronically must request a hardship waiver.
- Virginia accepts original and amended e-File PTE tax returns for Tax Years 2013 and forward.
- The available of paying the tax due through direct debit is available.
PTE e-File software offers the option of paying the tax due through a direct debit.
Prior to initiating an ACH Direct Debit transaction, notify your bank that the Department of Taxation is authorized to debit your bank account.
Some banks use a "filter", which prevents unauthorized debits from a customer's account. If your bank requests a filter number or Company ID for the direct debit transactions, please contact Customer Services at (804) 367-8037 to obtain this number.
If your bank denies your EFT payment, the Department handles it like a returned check and late payment charges will apply.
If you have additional questions regarding PTE e-File, please review these PTE e-File FAQs.
For additional help, please contact us at Bus_eFile@tax.virginia.gov.
Last Updated 12/18/2014 10:23