What is Free Fillable Forms?
Free Fillable Forms is an electronic version of the Virginia resident tax return (Form 760) that does math for you, and offers basic guidance to help you complete your return. There are no age or income restrictions.
Use Free Fillable Forms if you're:
- Comfortable doing your own taxes with little guidance,
- A Virginia full-year resident (filing the Form 760),
- Preparing a current year return
Part-year residents and nonresidents will need to use another option to prepare and file their return.
Before you start filing your Virginia taxes using Free Fillable Forms, make sure you have:
- A copy of your current year federal tax return
- All income and tax statements you received (W-2s,1099-Gs, 1099-NECs, etc.)
- Any current year estimated tax payment amounts
- Your bank routing and account numbers if using direct deposit
- A valid email address
Avoid common mistakes
To avoid some of the most common reasons for a rejected return, make sure you:
- Only enter withholding information, such as from a Form W-2, as it appears on the form. For example, leave the foreign address section blank if your address is domestic.
- Only enter an ID Theft PIN if you received one in the mail from Virginia Tax. Otherwise, leave this field blank.
- Provide optional driver's license information in both Step 1 and Step 2. If you do not have driver’s license information, leave both fields blank.
- Claim either the standard deduction or itemized deductions. You must claim the same type of deduction that you claimed on your federal return.
- Refer to the How to Avoid Rejects Reference Guide (pdf) for tips on ensuring your return is accepted.
- Refer to How to Resolve Common Errors if your return has been rejected.
Important - You haven't filed if we reject your return. You should receive an email within 48 hours from email@example.com, letting you know if we've accepted your return. This will be an automated email from an unmonitored email. If your return was rejected, you'll need to log back into your account, correct any errors, and resubmit before the filing due date.
Electronic filing limitations
While there are no age or income restrictions for using Free Fillable Forms to prepare your return, you won't be able to file online if you claim any of the following:
- More than 2 additions, 3 subtractions or 3 deductions
- Any W-2 or 1099 statements other than:
You can still use the software to fill out your return, but you'll need to print and mail your return instead of filing online.
- When you click the Free Fillable Forms link, you will leave our website and enter a privately owned website created, operated, and maintained by a private company.