Free Fillable Forms is Now Closed
Nov. 1, 2019 was the last day taxpayers were able to access their accounts to print or file their 2018 return.
The program will reopen in January with the start of filing season.
Still need to file your 2018 return?
- If you printed a copy, you can mail it to us.
- If you don’t have a copy, you will need to prepare another return.
Need a copy of your return?
If you filed, but weren't able to print a copy, you can request a copy of your return.
What is Free Fillable Forms?
Free Fillable Forms is an electronic version of the Virginia resident return (Form 760) that does math for you, but offers only basic guidance to help you complete your return. There are no restrictions for age or income.
Use Free Fillable Forms if you're:
- Comfortable doing your own taxes with little guidance,
- A Virginia full-year resident (filing the Form 760),
- Preparing a current year return
Part-year residents and nonresidents will need to use another option to prepare and file their return.
Before you start, make sure you have:
- A copy of your current year federal tax return
- All income and tax statements you received (W-2s,1099-Gs, 1099-MISCs, etc.)
- Any current year estimated tax payment amounts
- Your bank routing and account numbers if using direct deposit
- A valid email address
Avoid common rejects
To avoid some of the most common reasons for a rejected return, make sure you provide the following:
- Locality code (3 digits)
- Check the checking or savings indicator for a direct deposit refund
- Birth date(s)
- Complete and correct email address
Important - You haven't filed if Virginia Tax rejects your return. You should receive an email within 48 hours from firstname.lastname@example.org, letting you know if we've accepted your return. If it was rejected, you'll need to log back into your account, correct any errors, and resubmit before the filing due date.
Electronic filing limitations
While there are no restrictions for using Free Fillable Forms to prepare your return, you won't be able to file online if you claim any of the following:
- More than 3 additions, subtractions, deductions, or contributions
- Any W-2 or 1099 statements other than:
You can still use the software to fill out your return, but you'll need to print and mail your return instead of filing online.
- When you click the Free Fillable Forms link, you will leave our website and enter a privately owned website created, operated, and maintained by a private company.