Beginning July 1, 2018, there is an additional 1% regional sales and use tax in the City of Williamsburg, and the Counties of James City and York, increasing the total sales tax rate in the region to 7%.
The additional tax does not apply to food sold for home consumption (groceries), but does apply to the rental of lodgings and transient accommodations (hotel rooms, etc.).
Half of the revenue from the additional tax will be dedicated to market and promote the Historic Triangle as an overnight tourism destination. The other half will be distributed to the localities involved.
Information for Businesses in the Region
- Businesses or dealers located or reporting sales in the region are required to collect the additional tax on general sales starting July 1.
- You’ll begin reporting the additional rate with your regular July 2018 return, due Aug. 20 for monthly filers or Oct. 20 for quarterly filers.
Updated forms are available below for review only:
- Sample ST-9 - Retail Sales and Use Tax Return for single locality filers
- Sample ST-9 Package - Retail Sales and Use Tax Return for businesses with locations in more than one locality or without a fixed location
- Sample ST-8 - Out-of-State Dealer's Use Tax Return
- Sample ST-7 - Business Consumer's Use Tax Return
- Sample ST-6 - Direct Pay Permit Sales and Use Tax Return
For additional information, please see Tax Bulletin 18-3.