How to update your address
If you've moved or changed your address since you last filed a tax return with us, let us know by Friday, August 23, 2019 to make sure you get your Tax Relief Refund this fall.
- Phone: Call Customer Services at 804.367.8031, Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5pm. This is the fastest way to update your address.
- Online: Log into your individual account and send a secure message with your new address. If you're married and file jointly, include your spouse's name and SSN in your request. If you don't have an account, it's easy to enroll. Just have a copy of your most recently filed Virginia tax return available.
- Mail or Fax: Send a letter with your full name and Social Security number; your spouse’s name and SSN (if filing jointly); your old mailing address; and your new mailing address to:
Virginia Department of Taxation
Office of Customer Services
PO Box 1115
Richmond, VA 23218-1115
Things to know about the Tax Relief Refund
- The additional refund is a result of legislation passed by the 2019 General Assembly to give revenue generated from federal tax changes back to Virginia taxpayers.
- The refund amount is up to $110 for an individual, and $220 for married couples who filed jointly.
- The refund cannot exceed your tax liability for the 2018 tax year.
- Checks will be mailed by October 15, 2019.
- If you owe Virginia state taxes for 2018 or for any previous tax years, Virginia Tax will withhold all or part of the refund and apply it to your tax bills, and
- If you owe money to Virginia local governments, courts, other state agencies or the IRS, Virginia Tax will withhold all or part of the refund to help pay these debts.