If you're taking advantage of the automatic 6-month extension to file your Virginia individual income tax return, the deadline to file your 2018 return is Friday, Nov. 1, 2019.
File electronically. It's safe, easy, and accurate.
You may be able to file for free through Free File software. See your filing options.
Expecting a refund?
- If you file electronically, your refund will generally be processed within 4 weeks.
- If you file on paper, it can take up to 8 weeks, with an additional 3 weeks for returns sent using certified mail.
For more information, and to check your refund status, visit Where's My Refund.
If you do owe taxes, be sure to pay when you file. If you don’t, you will be charged interest, and you may have to pay a penalty.
Tips to help us process your return smoothly
- Include your Virginia driver’s license or Virginia identification card number on your return.
- If you were issued a Virginia Tax personal identification number (PIN), provide the PIN on your return.
- Provide all necessary information on your return and attach all required documents and schedules.
- Be sure spelling of your name(s), Social Security number(s), and all calculations are correct.