Pass-through Entity (PTE) e-File
- PTE Tax Software
- Filing Reminders and Changes
- PTE e-File Program
- Using PTE e-File
- Direct Debit and e-File
- How to Get Help
- PTE e-File FAQs
The following software products go through our approval process in order to process Virginia PTE tax returns through the Federal/State e-File program.
The Virginia Department of Taxation (Department) does not promote or endorse any particular online filing product. It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that a product meets their e-Filing needs. Approval by the Department only means that the vendor has met established software specifications.
- Please note that by clicking on an e-File vendor's link, you will leave the Department's web site and enter a privately owned web site created, operated and maintained by a commercial e-File vendor.
- By linking to this private business, the Department is not endorsing its products, services, or privacy and security policies.
- We recommend you review the e-File vendor's information collection policy or terms and conditions to fully understand what information is collected by this private business.
Software Products Supporting Tax Year 2016
- ATX – http://www.atxinc.com/
- CrossLink – http://www.crosslinktax.com/products
- Drake – https://www.drakesoftware.com
- GoSystem – https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/cs-professional-suite/gosystem-tax-rs/
- Intuit ProSeries – https://proconnect.intuit.com/proseries
- OLT Pro – https://www.oltpro.com
- OneSource – https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/products/brands/onesource
- ProSystem fx – https://www.cchgroup.com/roles/corporations
- TaxACT - https://www.taxact.com/business-returns/
- TaxSlayer Pro – https://www.taxslayerpro.com
- TaxWise – https://www.cchsfs.com/professional-tax-software/taxwise.aspx
- TurboTax – https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/
- All PTE tax returns must be filed electronically.
- This took effect beginning with Taxable Year 2014 returns and their tax due payments.
- PTEs that are unable to file and pay electronically must request a hardship waiver.
- Virginia accepts original and amended e-File PTE tax returns for Tax Years 2013 and forward.
- Direct Debit is available for tax due payments.
Virginia’s PTE e-File program works jointly with the IRS Federal/State e-File Program.
This allows the federal and state PTE tax returns to be filed electronically through a vendor's website or a purchased software package. e-File software checks for completeness, corrects errors, generates the applicable schedules and electronically transmits the return and payment to the e-File processing systems.
The e-File program provides many benefits:
- Security & Confirmation - notification that the return was received and either accepted or rejected
- Convenient & Easy - available 24/7 with step-by-step instructions provided
- Accurate Processing - fewer errors due to review by e-File software
- One-Stop-Shop - prepare and file the federal and state return simultaneously
- Electronic Banking - convenience of Direct Debit for the tax payment owed
- Warehouse Payments - file now and select a later date for the Department to debit the tax payment from your bank account
- Saves Paper & Time - no printing and mailing of paper returns
In order to successfully e-File you must use one of approved software products listed below.
You must also:
- Verify that the software product supports the forms and tax year(s) that you want to file.
NOTE: Some products support federal and state filing and some products support only state filing.
- Ensure that your computer's operating system is compatible with the software chosen.
- Be able to create a readable PDF for each required state attachment.
NOTE: This requires a scanner that scans documents into a PDF or another tool that allows you to save a file as a PDF.
You will receive an acknowledgement within 48 hours from when your return(s) is received and it will advise if the return is accepted or is rejected by the e-File System. In most cases, rejected returns can be re-transmitted after correcting the error that caused the rejection.
When an e-Filed return is rejected at the federal IRS level, Virginia does not receive the electronic copy of the data. Once the return is accepted at the federal IRS level, Virginia receives the electronic information and will supply its own acknowledgment of accepted or rejected.
A return must be transmitted and accepted by the due date of the return to be considered timely filed.
PTE e-File software offers the option of paying the tax due through a direct debit. Prior to initiating an ACH Direct Debit transaction, notify your bank that the Department is authorized to debit your bank account.
Some banks use a "filter", which prevents unauthorized debits from a customer's account. If your bank requests a filter number or Company ID for the direct debit transactions, please contact Customer Services at (804) 367-8037 to obtain this number.
If your bank denies your EFT payment, the Department handles it like a returned check and late payment charges will apply.
If you have additional questions regarding PTE e-File, please review these PTE e-File FAQs.
For additional help, please contact us at Bus_eFile@tax.virginia.gov.