Where's My Refund?
Check the Status of your Refund
- Online Lookup - Check the status of your tax refund online. You will need to enter your SSN, the tax year of the return you filed and the amount of the refund you are expecting.
- Phone Lookup - Call (804) 367-2486 to check the status of your refund 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You will need to enter your SSN and the amount of the refund you are expecting.
How Long does it Take
- If you e-Filed your tax return your refund will be processed in about 1 week.
- If you filed your tax return on paper your refund could take up to 7 weeks to process. Please note, if you mailed your tax return using Certified Mail it could take from 1-3 weeks before we receive it from the Post Office.
Next year consider using e-File and have your refund deposited directly into your bank account if you would like to receive your refund faster.
Did you receive a Paper Check instead of Direct Deposit or a Debit Card? Find out why...
Before issuing any tax refunds we first verify you do not owe the Commonwealth of Virginia for any outstanding debts:
- If you owe the Department of Taxation for previous tax years we will withhold all or part of your tax refund and apply it to your outstanding tax bill(s). If this occurs the Department will send you a letter identifying the specific bill(s) you owe and how much of your tax refund was applied.
- If you owe a debt to other agencies of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Virginia local governments, the Virginia court system or the Internal Revenue Service we will withhold all or part of any remaining tax refund to help satisfy these debts. If this occurs the specific agency will send you a letter identifying the debt you owe and how much of your refund was applied to the debt. The Code of Virginia Setoff Debt Collection Act, Sections 58.1-520 through 58.1-535, authorizes and governs this program.
- If your refund is reduced to satisfy any debt owed to the Commonwealth you will be issued a refund check for the residual balance. This check will be mailed to the most recent address provided on your tax return.
- If you requested your tax refund be deposited into your bank account but you (or your tax preparer) entered your bank account numbers incorrectly into your tax preparation software, or we keyed your bank account numbers incorrectly from your paper tax return, the bank will not be able to process the deposit. When this occurs they notify us and we will manually re-issue your refund as a paper check. This process could take up to 2 weeks between the time we receive notification from the bank and when you receive the paper check.
- If your refund was issued as a Virginia Tax Refund Debit Card, but the Post Office was unable to deliver the card to your address it will be returned to Xerox State and Local Solutions, Inc., as "Undeliverable" mail. Please visit their Go Program® or call, toll free (855) 409-0580 for assistance.