Closing your Business
In order to close your business, you must notify the Department of your intent on a Form R-3 Registration Change Request.
IF YOU ARE COMPLETELY OUT OF BUSINESS:
- Check the COMPLETELY OUT OF BUSINESS block and enter the date your account should be closed. Check this block only if one or more of the following conditions apply:
- Your business was sold or terminated and you are no longer liable for any Virginia business taxes.
- The structure of your business changed from one type to another (Sole Proprietorship, Partnership or Corporation) and a new Federal employer ID Number was issued; or
- Your corporation merged with another corporation.
- Mail this completed form to the address below.
- If you were registered for Employer Withholding Tax, file Form VA-6 and a Form W-2 for each employee within 30 days after the last month in which wages were paid.
- Discard your remaining blank tax returns.
Please Note: All of your required returns should be filed prior to the closing of your business. Your account will not be completely closed, until all returns have been filed and processed.
IF THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE IN OWNERSHIP:
Every new owner or organization must file a new Business Registration Application, Form R-1. If you are the new owner, do not submit this form. Send a letter to the address below requesting a Form R-1 Business Registration Application, to establish a new account.Virginia Department of Taxation
P.O. Box 1114
Richmond, VA 23218-1114
Or fax to (804) 367-2603. You may also call us at (804) 367-8037 to change your account information by phone.
Last Updated 7/17/2012 12:11