VATAX Online for Businesses FAQs
What Online Services are Available for Business?
- Business Registration - Register a new business with the Department of Taxation and/or with the Virginia Employment Commission.
- Household Employer Registration - Register as a Household Employer with the Department of Taxation and/or with the Virginia Employment Commission.
- Tax Preparer Registration - Register as a Tax Preparer with the Department of Taxation and/or with the Virginia Employment Commission to file taxes online on behalf of your clients.
File and Pay Taxes
- eForms – Easiest way to file returns and make debit payments electronically. These fillable forms look just like the paper tax return, perform basic calculations, schedule your debit payment to occur on a future date that you specify and receive immediate confirmation. eForms FAQs
- Business iFile – Provides robust functionality to file tax returns and make debit payments electronically, performs all calculations for you, schedule your debit payment to occur on a future date that you specify, receive immediate confirmation and view up to 14 months of filing history. Business iFile will allow you to file and pay Retail Sales Tax, Use Tax, Employer Withholding taxes, Digital Media Fee, Household Employer Tax, Insurance Premiums License Tax, Corporate Estimated Tax payments and Corporate Extension payments with the Virginia Department of Taxation and Unemployment taxes with the Virginia Employment Commission. Business iFile FAQs
- Web Upload – File tax returns and make debit payments electronically by uploading a file. Ideal solution for tax preparers that file on behalf of multiple clients or for businesses that have more than one location to report sales tax for. Supports a variety of file types including Excel. Receive immediate confirmation, view up to 24 months worth of uploaded file information and schedule your file to be uploaded on a future date that you specify. Web Upload FAQs
Communicate Online with the Virginia Department of Taxation
- Secure Messaging – Send a secure and confidential email. You may also send attachments using Secure Messaging.
- Live Chat - Communicate online in real time with the Department’s tax representatives by clicking on one of the many Live Chat icons located throughout this website. You can ask general tax questions or specific questions about your account(s). Live Chat is available from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Transcripts of Live Chat sessions are available to print out.
- Business Profile Changes – Business iFile provides functionality to update addresses and contact information, add or close a business location, update responsible officers, close your business, register for additional taxes, print a copy of your sales tax certificate and more.
What are the benefits of using Online Services?
Filing and paying your taxes online significantly reduces the operational costs of the Department. In addition, electronic transactions are processed with little to no human interaction so they are significantly faster, more efficient and less prone to error than paper transactions.
How much does it cost to use VATAX Online?
All of our online services are free and most are available 24 hours a day.
What type of equipment and software is required?
You will need a personal computer and Internet access to use our online services; no additional software or hardware is required. Find out if your computer and browser are compatible with our online services and upgrade to a newer browser if necessary.
To ensure delivery of confirmation emails from Online Services and to receive a Temporary Password, please add "DoNotReply@tax.virginia.gov" to your trusted email list.
Is it safe to file and pay taxes over the Internet?
Several of our online services require you to register or enroll in that service so we can be sure that only you have access to your account. Once you have enrolled you may then access this service anytime you want by logging in as a returning user.
Many of our online services will accept a payment. Payments are processed as a debit transaction against your checking account. This is also completely safe and secure.
Last Updated 10/28/2014 9:20