The Virginia Department of Taxation offers several options for payment of Individual Income and Business Taxes. Click on the following link to access additional information on requirements for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Payments
Use the following options for submitting payments:
- Web Upload Program (Sales Tax and Withholding)
- Online Quick Pay to Pay Specific Bills from your checking or savings account
- Online Services for Individual Income taxes
- Online Services for Business taxes
- Check or Money Order
- Credit Card
- Teleplan - 24 hour touch tone telephone payment agreements
- ACH Credit Payments
- Electronic Payment Guide
eForms is a free, online service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week that supports filing and paying Sales Tax, Insurance Premiums License Tax, and Withholding Tax returns. No sign-up is required to use this system and the forms look similar to the paper versions. When the return has an amount due, eForms requires that a payment is made with the filing. The payment will be debited via Electronic Funds Transfer (ACH Debit) from the checking account information entered with the tax return. Only checking accounts may be used with eForms.
Web Upload is used to file and pay Sales Tax and Withholding Tax. The payment information and the banking information must be included in the customer's record in the submitted file in order for the payment to be applied to the customer's account. The payment is debited via Electronic Funds Transfer (ACH Debit) from the banking information listed in the customer's file. At this time only checking accounts may be used to make payments with Web Upload.
QuickPay is a free and secure online bill paying service offered by the Department of Taxation. You must have the specific bill
- Pay Individual Income tax or Business tax bills from your checking or savings account
- Pay bills for any type of tax (except estate and cigarette taxes)
- Review your bill balances
- Review your QuickPay payment history for up to 2 years.
Online Services for Individuals offers a variety of options for payment of Individual Income Tax.
- Make an online payment from your checking or savings account for the balance due on a 760, 763, 760PY return filing that has not yet been billed, using Web Payments (Non-Bill Payment).
- Pay your quarterly estimated income tax for the current year online from your checking or savings account.
- File an extension payment online from your checking or savings account.
Online Services for Businesses offers a variety of options for filing and payment of Business taxes.
- File any of your Retail Sales and Use or Employer Withholding tax returns online for free and pay the balance due electronically from your checking account or savings account.
- Use Web Payments to pay business taxes from your checking or savings account.
- Pay your quarterly estimated Corporate income tax for the current year online from your checking or savings account.
- File a corporate income tax extension online and make payment from your checking or savings account.
- Make your estimated Insurance Premiums License Tax payment online from your checking or savings account
Individuals should attach their check or money order, made payable to the Treasurer of your city or county, to your return. Please include your social security number and telephone number on your check, and write the specific tax year you are paying in the memo line.
Businesses should attach their check or money order to the specific return they are completing. The address to send returns and payments to the Virginia Department of Taxation is listed on the return or in the instructions for each return.
All Individual tax bill payments should go to the following address:
Virginia Department of Taxation
PO Box 2369
Richmond, Virginia 23218
All Business tax bill payments should go to the following address:
Virginia Department of Taxation
PO Box 1777
Richmond, Virginia 23218
Enjoy the convenience and flexibility of credit card payments for taxes. Use your credit card to pay:
- Notice of Assessments / Consolidated Bill Statements
- Individual Estimated Tax Payments
- Balance Due Individual Income Tax Returns
In cooperation with the Department of Taxation, Official Payments Corporation offers individuals the opportunity to pay taxes by telephone or directly over the Internet. In order to process your payment, Official Payments Corporation, the credit card service provider, charges a convenience fee based on the amount of the transaction.
To pay by credit card, call 1-800-2PAY-TAX or visit Official Payments. For phone and online payments, enter the Virginia jurisdiction code (1080) when prompted.
To ensure proper posting of the payment to your tax account, you will need to provide the following information:
- Type of tax or payment
- 5 digit bill number if paying a bill
- Your credit card information
- Amount of the tax or payment
- Your social security number
The system will provide:
- The total payment amount including convenience fee
- Request for your approval
- Confirmation number
This automated payment plan system is available to you 24 hours a day at (804) 440-5100. You must have your 9-digit social security number or your business's 9-digit federal employer identification number when calling.
If the Department of Taxation accepts the terms of your payment plan (monthly or semi-monthly) you must:
- pay the balance due
- timely file and pay all future returns
Teleplan will not allow an automated payment plan to be set if one of the following actions is in place on your account:
- padlock, revocation, criminal warrant, bond or hold
- third party lien, pending lien, bankruptcy, existing payment plan or assignment to an Outside Collection Agency
Your call will be directed to a Service Representative if the terms are not accepted or if the account is not eligible to be set through Teleplan. If your call is made outside of business hours, then you will be instructed to call back during regular hours and speak with a Service Representative. You may contact them at (804) 367-8045, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Payments made for Employer Withholding Tax, Corporate Income Tax, Sales and Use Tax, Communications Tax, and Motor Vehicle Rental Tax can be made using ACH Credit. Insurance companies may also use ACH Credit to pay their Insurance Premiums License Tax. To use ACH Credit you must contact your financial institution and make arrangements with them to credit the State's bank account with funds from your bank account. Your financial institution will tell you what ACH orgination services it offers and the associated costs. Prior to submitting an ACH credit payment, you must first register your company for all applicable taxes with the Virginia Department of Taxation. For additional information about using ACH Credit obtain a copy of the Electronic Payment Guide below.
Electronic Payment Guide
For additional information on all of the Payment Options mentioned, select the Electronic Payment Guide link.
If you have any additional questions about EFT, contact the Office of Customer Services at (804) 367-8037 or E-mail us your questions.
Last Updated 1/16/2013 14:26