The Virginia Department of Taxation offers several options for payment of Individual Income and Business Taxes.
Additional information on the requirements for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Payments is also available for customers. Information regarding the fee for returned payments is available on this Payment Options page as well.
Use the following options for submitting payments:
- Web Upload Program
- Quick Pay for Specific Bills
- Online Services for Individual Income taxes
- Online Services for Business taxes
- Check or Money Order
- Credit Card
- Teleplan - Automated Payment Plan System
- ACH Credit Payments
- Electronic Payment Guide
eForms is a free, online service available 24/7 that supports:
- filing and paying Sales Tax, Withholding Tax, Insurance Premiums License Tax returns
- paying Corporation Income Tax payments (estimated, extention and return payments)
When the return has an amount due, eForms requires that a payment is made with the filing. The payment will be debited via EFT (ACH Debit) from the checking account information entered with the return. Only checking accounts may be used with eForms.
Web Upload is a free, online service available 24/7 used to file and pay Sales Tax and Withholding Tax.
Payment and banking information must be included in the customer's record in the submitted file in order for the payment to be applied to the customer's account. The payment is debited via EFT (ACH Debit) from the banking information listed in the customer's file. Only checking accounts may be used with Web Upload.
QuickPay is a free, online online bill paying service available 24/7 for your tax bills. You must have the specific bill
- Pay Individual Income tax or Business tax bills from your checking or savings account
- Pay bills for any type of tax (except estate and cigarette taxes)
- Review your bill balances
- Review your QuickPay payment history for up to 2 years
Online Services for Individuals offers a variety of free online options for payment of Individual Income Tax, using either your checking or savings account.
- Use Web Payments to make a payment (balance due) on a 760, 763, 760PY return filing that has not yet been billed
- Pay quarterly estimated income tax for the current year
- File an extension income tax payment
Online Services for Businesses offers a variety of free online options for filing and payment of Business taxes, using either your checking or savings account.
- File and pay any Retail Sales and Use or Employer Withholding tax returns
- Use Web Payments to pay business taxes
- Pay quarterly estimated Corporate income tax for the current year
- File and pay corporate income tax extensions
- Pay estimated Insurance Premiums License Tax payments
- Attach your check or money order, payable to the Treasurer of your city or county, to your return
- Include your SSN, phone number and specific tax year to be paid on your check
- Attach your check or money order to the specific return you are filing
- Use the specific Virginia Tax Department address is listed on the return / instructions for each return
|Individual tax bill payments||Business tax bill payments|
Virginia Department of Taxation
Virginia Department of Taxation
PO Box 1777
Richmond, Virginia 23218
Notice of Returned Payments
|All Notice of Returned Payments|
Virginia Department of Taxation
In cooperation with the Department of Taxation, Official Payments Corporation offers the opportunity to pay taxes by phone or online. In order to process your payment, Official Payments Corporation, the credit card service provider, charges a convenience fee based on the amount of the transaction. Use your credit card to pay:
- Notice of Assessments / Consolidated Bill Statements
- Individual Estimated Tax Payments
- Balance Due Individual Income Tax Returns
To pay by credit card, call 1-800-2PAY-TAX or visit Official Payments. For all payments, enter the Virginia jurisdiction code (1080) when prompted.
To ensure proper posting of the payment to your tax account, provide the following information:
- Type of tax or payment
- 5-digit bill number
- Your credit card information
- Amount of the tax or payment
- Your 9-digit SSN (individuals) or 15-digit account number (businesses)
The system will provide the total payment amount including convenience fee, a request for your approval and a confirmation number.
This automated payment plan system is available 24/7 at (804) 440-5100. Have your 9-digit SSN or your business's 9-digit FEIN when calling Teleplan.
If the Department of Taxation accepts the terms of your payment plan request (monthly or semi-monthly) you must:
- pay the balance due
- timely file and pay all future returns
Teleplan will not set up an automated payment plan if one of the following conditions are on your account.
- padlock, revocation, criminal warrant, bond or hold
- third party lien, pending lien, bankruptcy, existing payment plan or assignment to an Outside Collection Agency
If the terms of the payment plan request are not accepted / not eligible, your call will be transferred to a Tax Representative. For calls made outside of business hours, Teleplan advises you to call back during regular hours to speak with a Tax Representative. You may contact them directly at (804) 367-8045, Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Payments made for Employer Withholding Tax, Corporate Income Tax, Sales and Use Tax, Communications Tax, and Motor Vehicle Rental Tax can be made using ACH Credit. Insurance companies may also use ACH Credit to pay their Insurance Premiums License Tax.
To use ACH Credit, contact your financial institution to make arrangements with them to credit the State's bank account with funds from your bank account. Your financial institution will tell you what ACH orgination services it offers and any associated costs. Prior to submitting an ACH credit payment, ensure your company is registered for all applicable taxes with the Virginia Department of Taxation.
For additional information about using ACH Credit review a copy of the Electronic Payment Guide below.
If your financial institution does not honor any payment to us, the Tax Department may impose a fee of $35 (Code of Virginia § 2.2-614.1). This fee is in addition to any other penalty/interest related to the account/filing. You may resubmit your payment via the Online Services for Individuals, Online Services for Businesses, Credit Card, Check or Money Order methods described on this page.
For details on the reason payment was not honored, please contact your financial institution. For details on all fee/penalty/interest types, reivew the Penalties and Interest page.
For additional information on all of the Payment Options mentioned, review the Electronic Payment Guide.
If you have any additional questions about EFT, contact the Office of Customer Services at (804) 367-8037 or E-mail us your questions.
Last Updated 11/13/2014 10:59