- e-File Availability
- Approved Corporation Tax Software
- Filing Reminders and Changes
- Corporate e-File Program
- Direct Debit and e-File
- How to Get Help
Corporate e-File is currently available for current year and prior tax year corporate returns.
The following commercial software products have been approved to process Virginia Corporation tax returns through the Federal/State e-File program for tax year 2012. Additional software products, once approved, will be added to the list provided below.
The Virginia Department of Taxation does not endorse any specific tax filing product.
Per the 2012-2014 Appropriations Act, Corporation income tax returns must be filed electronically through the Federal/State e-File program.
- This takes effect beginning with Taxable Year 2012 returns and their tax due payments.
- Corporations that are unable to file and pay electronically by the effective date should request a hardship waiver.
- Virginia accepts original and amended Corporation Income Tax returns for Tax Year 2012, and will continue to accept original returns for Tax Years 2010 and forward.
- The availability of paying the tax due through direct debit is available through e-File.
Virginia’s Corporate e-File program works jointly with the IRS Federal/State 1120 Modernized e-File program. This allows the federal and state corporation income tax returns to be filed electronically by using a commercial vendor's website or a purchased commercial vendor's software package. e-File software will automatically check for completeness, correct errors, generate the applicable schedules and electronically transmit the return and payment to the Federal/State e-File processing systems.
The e-File program provides many benefits:
- Simultaneous electronic filing of the federal and state returns
- Automatic electronic copy of the federal return sent to the state
- Consolidated and combined filings
- PDF attachments for copies of required documentation
- Scheduling tax payments for a future date
- Filing prior year returns for up to two tax years
In order to successfully e-File you must:
- Use one of the approved commercial software products.
Verify that the software product supports the forms and tax year(s) that you want to file.
NOTE: Be aware that some products support federal and state filing and some products support only state filing.
- Ensure that your computer's operating system is compatible with the software chosen.
Be able to create a PDF for each attachment.
NOTE: You must either have a scanner that allows you to scan documents into a PDF or another tool such as a version of Microsoft Office that allows you to save a Word or Excel file in a PDF format.
You will receive an acknowledgement within 48 hours from when your return(s) is received and it will state if the return is accepted or is rejected by the e-File System. In most cases, rejected returns can be re-transmitted after correcting the error that caused the rejection.
A return must be transmitted and accepted by the due date of the return to be considered timely filed.
Corporate e-File software offers the option of paying the tax due through a direct debit.
Prior to initiating an ACH Direct Debit transaction, notify your bank that the Department of Taxation is authorized to debit your bank account.
Some banks use a "filter", which prevents unauthorized debits from a customer's account. If your bank requests a filter number or Company ID for the direct debit transactions, please contact Customer Services at (804) 367-8037 to obtain this number.
If your bank denies your EFT payment, it is handled like a returned check and late payment charges will apply.
If you have additional questions regarding Corporate e-File, please review these FAQs.
For additional help, please contact us at email@example.com.
Last Updated 4/1/2013 9:34