Note: Pursuant to Item 3-5.25 of the 2022 Appropriation Act (House Bill 30, 2022 Acts of Assembly, Special Session I, Chapter 2), Virginia's sales tax holiday expires July 1, 2023
Purchase Qualifying Items without Paying Sales Tax in Virginia
Stock up on qualifying school supplies, clothing, hurricane and emergency preparedness supplies, and certain Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products without paying state sales tax starting Friday, Aug. 7 at 12:01 a.m. and ending Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Enjoy the savings whether you shop online, in-store, or by mail or phone.
- School supplies, clothing and footwear:
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item; and
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item.
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products:
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item;
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item;
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item; and
- Other specified hurricane preparedness products – $60 or less per item.
- Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products:
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for non-commercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item.
For more information, see Virginia Sales Tax Holiday.