Virginia Tax supports the electronic filing of Individual Income, Fiduciary/Estate, Corporation, and Pass-through Entity (PTE) tax data with the e-File system. We’ve created substitute versions of existing tax forms, and put all software vendors through our testing and approval process so that proper processing of taxpayer information can occur. All software development documentation is stored on the State Exchange System.
All Virginia Tax Software Providers
In order to initiate the approval process of supporting Virginia returns, the 2023 Software Provider Letter of Intent (LOI) must be submitted for each unique product offered by your company.
Payroll Tax Providers: Please complete and submit a pro forma letter of intent.
The e-File development documents that are available to view on the State Exchange System include:
- Business Rules
- Test Packages
- Guides – including details for transmission requirements
We have created substitute versions of existing tax forms so that proper processing of taxpayer information can occur. All software development documentation is stored on the State Exchange System.
We require software companies to support print versions of any form or schedule that is supported within e-File. “Near final draft” forms are posted to our Early Release Forms page and may be used to begin development. While these forms may be submitted for approval, they should not be released to the public until final forms are published.
The Substitute Form development documents that are available to view on the State Exchange System include:
- Guidelines & Standards for Formatting, Content & Approval
- 760CG Exact Specifications - PDF and Excel Formats
- 760CG Test Scripts
- 760CG / Schedule FED Comparison
- 1D Barcode Documents – full size forms
- Spec Documents – for Individual Income, Fiduciary, Corporation/Pass-Through Entity, Insurance Premiums, Sales and Use, Withholding and Miscellaneous Taxes
- Check Digit Calculator
- Early Release Forms - drafts of tax forms
- e-Alerts Service - legislative changes, filing reminders, and other related tax information
- Web Forms - all forms supported by Virginia Tax
Individual e-File: IND_eFile@tax.virginia.gov
Fiduciary e-File: FID_eFile@tax.virginia.gov
Corporate & PTE e-File: BUS_eFile@tax.virginia.gov
Software Product Support: email@example.com
Substitute Forms: firstname.lastname@example.org