Generally, if you have business activity in the Commonwealth of Virginia, you need to register your business with Virginia Tax.
- If you plan to hire employees, you can register with the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) at the same time you register with Virginia Tax if you register online. VEC is responsible for collecting unemployment tax.
- You can start the registration process, save a draft, and come back later to complete your registration. Just be sure to save your User ID and password to log back in.
Use our checklist to make sure you have everything you need before you start your registration.
When you complete your registration online, you’ll immediately receive your Virginia Tax account number for each tax type, your sales tax certificate of registration (if you registered to collect retail sales or use tax), and documents to help you with your next steps (what returns you need to file, when to file, etc.). You also are automatically enrolled in a business online services account where you’ll be able to file and pay taxes, send us emails, and manage your Virginia Tax account in the future.
If you are unable to register online, download the Business Registration Form (R-1) to mail in or fax.
New business resources:
- The Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD) provides a one-stop service for technical assistance related to business formation, access to capital, workforce development, and entrepreneurial workshops. SBSD provides an online interactive Business One Stop system to assist you in registering your business with several Virginia state and local agencies at one time.
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- Virginia Economic Development Partnership
If you employ household service employees, and are liable to withhold Virginia income taxes from their wages, you may need to register as a household employer with both Virginia Tax and VEC.
Learn more about Household Employer Withholding Requirements and who needs to register.