New businesses will need to register online starting July 1

Starting July 1, 2024, all new businesses in Virginia will need to register with us online. Our paper registration form will no longer be an option.

Generally, if you have business activity in the Commonwealth of Virginia, you need to register your business with Virginia Tax.

New Businesses

Before registering with us, most new businesses will need to get a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS, and some will need to register with the State Corporation Commission.  

  • If you plan to hire employees, you can register with the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) at the same time you register with Virginia Tax if you register online. VEC is responsible for collecting unemployment tax.
  • You can start the registration process, save a draft, and come back later to complete your registration. Just be sure to save your User ID and password to log back in. 

Use our checklist to make sure you have everything you need before you start your registration. We've also developed a step-by-step guide to help you register. 

Register your business now

When you complete your registration online, you’ll immediately receive your Virginia Tax account number for each tax type, your sales tax certificate of registration (if you registered to collect retail sales or use tax), and documents to help you with your next steps (what returns you need to file, when to file, etc.). You also are automatically enrolled in a business online services account where you’ll be able to file and pay taxes, send us emails, and manage your Virginia Tax account in the future. 

If you are unable to register online, download the Business Registration Form (R-1) to mail in or fax.

New business resources:

Household Employers

If you employ household service employees, and are liable to withhold Virginia income taxes from their wages, you may need to register as a household employer with both Virginia Tax and VEC.

Learn more about Household Employer Withholding Requirements and who needs to register.