Do you qualify for Free File?
If you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) made $64,000 or less in 2016, you qualify to file both your federal and state return for free using one of the software products below.
Make sure you're filing your Virginia income tax return for free:
- Choose the software you want directly from this page. If you access it from somewhere else - including the IRS's Free File page - you may be charged a fee to file your state return.
- Review the qualifications (age, income, military experience, etc.) for each software option to make sure you're eligible to use that software for free.
- If you've used the paid version of the software in the past, you may need to create a new account to file for free.
Free File Options
We are currently testing software products for 2017 returns. As products are tested and approved, they will be added here.
- Please note that by clicking on a vendor link, you will leave our website and enter a privately owned website created, operated, and maintained by a commercial vendor.
- By linking to this private business, Virginia Tax is not endorsing its products, services, or privacy and security policies.
- We recommend you review the vendor's information collection policy or terms and conditions to fully understand what information is collected by this private business.
- If you have questions, contact the customer support area for the software you're using. We can't provide technical support for commercial software products.