A new law passed by the General Assembly now requires tax professionals to report any breach of taxpayer data within a “reasonable time period" once the breach is discovered. If someone gains unauthorized access to personal and sensitive tax-related information that belongs to your clients or employees, you are legally obligated to notify both Virginia Tax and the affected parties as soon as possible.
If you have reason to suspect that your records may have been compromised, call 804.404.4232.
When you call, you’ll be directed to voicemail and asked to leave a message with the following information:
- Your name and contact information
- The name of the firm or practice whose information may have been breached
- The firm or practices Federal Tax Identification Number
- The firms Preparer Tax Identification Number or PTIN, if available
- A brief description of the breach
Once we receive your message, we’ll work with you to determine what further action is needed.