Copies of previously filed returns (5 years back) are available for:

  • Individual income tax 
  • Corporation income tax 
  • Pass-through entities
  • Sales tax
  • Employer withholding

Who can request copies?

  • A taxpayer
  • A court-appointed representative
  • An owner or officer of a company 
  • An individual who has been given power of attorney by the taxpayer 

To request a copy of your previously filed tax return:

  • Complete the Request for Copy of Tax Return (Form VA-1)  
  • There is a $5 fee for each return you request. Full payment must be included with your request. Make check or money order payable to the Virginia Department of Taxation. Do not send cash.

Send to:
Virginia Department of Taxation
PO Box 1317
Richmond, VA 23218-1317

Please allow up to 30 days to receive a copy of your return.

All requests go through an approval process to be sure that copies are sent to the rightful taxpayer or authorized representative. If you’re requesting a copy of a return for a business, be sure you’re authorized to act on behalf of that business. 

We will send you a refund of the fee for any return we can’t provide. Allow 30 days for the refund to be processed.


A tax return is not the same as a transcript. A transcript is a record of transactions for your account, such as payments or adjustments made to your return. There is no charge for a transcript. 

To request a transcript, send your name, business name (if applicable), Social Security number or Virginia Tax account number, tax year, and tax type to:

Virginia Department of Taxation
Office of Customer Services
PO Box 1115
Richmond, VA 23218-1115