Look up your 1099G/1099INT

To look up your 1099G/INT, you'll need your adjusted gross income from your most recently filed Virginia income tax return (Line 1, or the sum of both columns of Line 1 for a part-year return).

Your 1099G/INT includes the amount of any Virginia income tax refund and the amount of any Virginia tax rebate you received during the year.  

1099G Lookup

We will not mail paper 1099G/1099INT forms to taxpayers who chose to receive them electronically unless we receive a request for paper copies of these forms from the taxpayer. We will automatically mail paper forms to taxpayers who did not opt to receive them electronically.

Note: This 1099-G does not include any information on unemployment benefits received last year. If you're looking for your unemployment information, please visit the VEC's website.

About your 1099G/INT

What is Form 1099G/INT?

Form 1099G/1099INT is a report of income you received from Virginia Tax during 2023. The IRS requires government agencies to report certain payments made during the year, because those payments are considered taxable income for the recipients. Virginia Tax must report any refund or overpayment credit amount issued during 2023 to individuals who claimed itemized deductions on their income tax returns for the year shown in Box 3 of the Form. We must also report any interest paid on refunds.

The IRS normally requires that refund and interest amounts be reported on two separate forms:

  • Form 1099G (refunds and overpayments), and
  • Form 1099INT (interest).

To avoid the confusion that may be caused by sending multiple statements for the same tax year, we issue a single statement showing separate refund and interest amounts.

What do I need to do with my Form 1099G/ INT? Is it a bill?

The Form 1099G/1099INT is not a bill, and you should not send any type of payment in response to the statement. If you prepare your own taxes, you should review the federal return instructions for reporting state income tax refunds, or visit the IRS website for more information. If a tax professional handles your taxes, you should give this statement to the preparer, along with your other tax information, such as W-2s.

The form shows a refund amount and an interest amount. What am I supposed to report as income?

You may need to report both amounts as income. If so, the interest would be included with the other interest income you report on your federal return. For information on federal reporting requirements, visit the IRS website.

Why would I have to report my refund as income on my return?

In computing itemized deductions on your federal tax return, you are allowed to deduct state income taxes paid during the year. Most people deduct the amount of income tax withheld, as shown on Form W-2, plus any Virginia estimated tax payments they made during the year. Since this deduction reduces federal taxable income, if any part of the state tax deducted on the federal return is later refunded, that amount has to be reported as taxable income for the year in which the refund is issued.

Example: John Jones deducted $5,000 in state income tax on his 2022 federal return, based on the Virginia withholding amount from his W-2. When he filed his 2022 Virginia return, he found he was entitled to a refund of $1,000, which was issued on June 1, 2023. This means that he only paid $4,000 in state income taxes for 2022, rather than the $5,000 he claimed. Therefore, Mr. Jones will be required to report the difference of $1,000 (the amount of his refund) on his federal return for 2023.

I received a Virginia refund during 2023, but Virginia Tax applied the money to a bill for another year. Doesn't that mean this statement is wrong? Do I still have to report this as income?

Virginia law requires us to apply refunds or credits to outstanding bills. The application of funds doesn't change the fact that you claimed an overpayment for the year on your statement. Even though you didn't actually receive a check, an overpayment transaction took place, and you are subject to the same federal reporting requirements as if you had received a refund check.

I did show an overpayment on my 2022 return, but I had the money applied as a credit to 2023. Since I didn't get a refund, do I still have to report this?

A refund and a credit are simply different types of overpayment transactions. We must include any overpayment allowed on your 2022 return on our Form 1099G/1099INT. As a result, you are subject to the same federal reporting requirements as if you had received a refund check

My 1099G says the refund was issued for 2021. I already reported that refund on my 2022 federal return. Can you correct the statement?

We are required to report refund transactions in the year they actually occur. Since your 2021 refund was issued in 2023, we cannot issue a Form 1099G/1099INT as if the transaction took place in 2022. You should contact the IRS to find out whether you should amend your 2021 federal return or take some other action to correct the reporting error.

This statement shows a refund of $1,500 for 2022. I did get a refund for that amount, but I amended my return a few months later, and had to pay $500 back. Shouldn't the statement say my net refund was $1,000?

Under federal law, Virginia Tax is required to report the actual refund or credit amount. We cannot net the amount against other transactions. Therefore, your Form 1099G/1099INT is correct as issued. For information on how to report the income and deduct your payment on your 2023 federal return, visit the IRS website.

My 1099G says the refund was issued for 2021. Why was a 2021 refund issued in 2023?

Our records show that a refund for 20201 was issued on your account during 2023, and that you claimed itemized deductions for 2021. The refund could have resulted from an amended return, or some other adjustment that was made to your account. Since the transaction took place in 2023, the income would be reported on your 2023 federal return. If you don't have a record of filing an amended Virginia return for 2021, or of resolving a claim or dispute related to your 2021 return during 2023, please contact a Customer Service representative at 804.367.8031, or write to us at PO Box 1115, Richmond, Virginia 23218-1115 for an explanation.

What should I do if I know this Form 1099G is incorrect?

Contact a Customer Service representative at 804.367.8031, or write to us at PO Box 1115, Richmond, Virginia 23218-1115 to request a letter of correction. Be sure to include your Social Security number, and explain why you believe the Form 1099G/1099INT is incorrect.