Due to COVID-19 workplace protocols and mail delays, it will take longer than usual for us to process paper returns. We encourage you to follow these tips to avoid delays.
File electronically and request direct deposit for refunds
Filing electronically, and requesting direct deposit if you’re expecting a refund, is the fastest, safest, and easiest way to file your return.
File for free
- If your income was $72,000 or less in 2020, you qualify for Free File tax software (a free version of commercial tax preparation software).
See all electronic filing options.
Gather everything you need before you start filing your return
What you’ll need to file online:
- An active email address.
- A copy of last year’s tax return available (you’ll need last year’s federal adjusted gross income, if applicable).
- Your Virginia driver’s license or Virginia identification card - providing this information helps us process returns more quickly.
- All your W-2s, 1099s, and other income and withholding information. Don’t rely on year-end pay stub information – it may not match what your employer reports to us.
- Forms 1095-A, B, or C (your healthcare information).
- Information related to any credits you’re claiming.
- Your banking information.
Reminder: If you do choose to file on paper, please note that it will take even longer for us to process your return this year due to COVID-19 workplace protocols and mail delays.
Use our Where’s my Refund tool to check on the status of your refund.
For more information on this year's filing season, see Tax Bulletin 21-5.
Watch "Common Mistakes to Avoid" for more tips: