Virginia Tax is committed to keeping you informed as the coronavirus/ COVID-19 crisis continues to evolve. We’re continuing to process returns and issue refunds as usual.
We will update this page as the situation develops.
Relief for Taxpayers Affected by Ongoing Coronavirus Pandemic
Governor Northam has outlined several steps to provide tax relief to citizens during this time.
Income Tax Payment Extension & Penalty Waiver
Any income tax payments due during the time period of April 1, 2020, to June 1, 2020, will now be due on June 1, 2020. This includes individual and corporate income taxes paid to Virginia Tax.
Late payment penalties will not be charged if payments are made by June 1, 2020. However, interest will still accrue, so if you can pay by the original filing due date, you should.
All income tax filing deadlines remain the same, including the May 1, 2020 individual income tax filing due date. However, Virginia does already have an automatic, 6-month extension to file (7 months for certain corporations). If you file during the extension period, make sure you still pay any taxes owed by June 1, 2020 to avoid penalties.
For more information:
- Virginia Tax Penalty and Interest Updates and Overview (pdf)
- Virginia Tax Bulletin 20-4: Income Tax Payment Extension and Penalty Waiver in Response to the COVID-19 Crisis (pdf)
Sales Tax Filing and Payment Extension & Penalty Waiver
Businesses impacted by coronavirus can request an extension of the due date for filing and payment of their February 2020 sales tax return due March 20, 2020, for 30 days. When granted, businesses will be able to file and pay no later than April 20, 2020 with a waiver of any penalties. For more information, see Virginia Tax Bulletin 20-3: Option to Request Extension of Sales Tax Deadlines for those Affected by the COVID-19 Crisis (pdf).
- Get updated information about how the Commonwealth is responding and supporting Virginians impacted by the spread of coronavirus, or COVID-19 at https://www.virginia.gov/coronavirus-updates/
- For health information about coronavirus/COVID-19, visit the Center for Disease Control’s website at https://www.coronavirus.gov
- To learn how the IRS is responding, and for information about federal tax relief, visit the IRS’s website at https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus
- The US Department of the Treasury also has information at https://home.treasury.gov/coronavirus
Cashier's Office Closed
Due to guidance regarding social distancing our cashier's office is now closed.
At this time, we can’t accept cash payments. See tax.virginia.gov/payments for payment options.
You can drop off checks and money orders to our drop box located at 1957 Westmoreland St., Richmond. Please include form CP-1 (found at the drop box) with your payment.
Questions? Contact Us.