Anyone with access to the Internet desiring to apply for a Virginia sales and use tax exemption, renew an expiring or expired exemption on behalf of a nonprofit organization can use Nonprofit Online.
- New users will be required to create a user ID and password if applying for the first time. Please keep this information in a secure location because you will need it again to access Nonprofit Online.
- Returning users - you must use the original user ID and password created when you registered your organization. If you have forgotten your user ID or password, select the "Forgot Your Password" option and your user ID and password will be emailed to you, provided we have a valid email address for you.
If you are a Returning user and you are unable to retrieve your user ID and password information, you must sign up as a New user and create a user ID and password. Click on the "Change Access Request" option to associate your new user ID and password with the record. Once you receive an email confirmation that the Change Access Request has been approved, you may login to access your record.
NOTE: After 6 unsuccessful attempts to retrieve your password, your account will be locked. You must contact Virginia Tax 804.371.4023 for assistance.
NOTE: Please be sure you save the data throughout this application by clicking “Save as Draft” at the bottom of each page. Your session will time-out after 30 minutes and you will lose all the data keyed.
- Register a new organization for a retail sales and use tax exemption
- Renew an existing exemption online
- Update contact information online
- Print extra copies of your exemption certificate
- Send a secure message to Virginia Tax
- Upload required documentation
For security purposes, you must create a user ID and password. The following information is also required to apply for an exemption. Please make sure you have this information available before starting your application.
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) of the organization
- Proof of compliance with Chapter 5 of Title 57 of the Code of Virginia
- An estimate of the organization's annual gross revenue, fundraising and administrative expenses
- Financial review is required for organization’s with gross revenue greater than $750,000.
- Federal Form 990, 990EZ, 990PF or 990N e-postcard, if required by the Internal Revenue Service
- Proof of federal tax-exempt designation 501(c)(3), (c)(4) or (c)(19)
- Estimate of tangible personal property purchased in Virginia
Log into Nonprofit Online using your user ID and password. Once you are on the Welcome to VATAX Nonprofit Online page, scroll down to the Associated Organization History section. You can view the status of your exemption request.
Approved Status - Virginia Tax has approved your request and a copy of the exemption certificate has been mailed to the physical address provided.
Denied Status - Virginia Tax has denied your request and a denial letter explaining in detail the reason for the denial has been mailed to the contact information provided.
Pending Review Status - The request has been processed and sent for approval.
Draft Status - The customer has not completed the application. You must login and check the Declaration Box at the end of the application. The exemption request will not be process until it has been completed.
FEIN Already Exist - A record already exist for this organization. You must login and complete the Change Access Request to associate your user ID and password with this organization. You may also contact Virginia Tax for assistance at 804.371-4023.
Virginia Tax will notify you within 120 days prior to the expiration date of your exemption certificate. Please note: if you are a new user, create a user ID and password. Click on the 'Change Access Request' option to associate your user ID and password to the record before you start the renewal process.
Proof of Receipt - Confirmation that your exemption request was received and accepted.
Convenient - Available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Easy - Nonprofit Online is quick, easy and efficient.
Safe and secure - Safer than mailing in your application
Saves paper and postage - No mailing of paper or postage cost
Go to Nonprofit Online