The 2022 Virginia General Assembly passed a law giving taxpayers with a liability a rebate of up to $250 for individual filers and up to $500 for joint filers.

Check Your Eligibility


Eligible taxpayers must have filed by November 1, 2022 to receive the rebate 

If you're eligible and filed by September 5, we have already issued your rebate. If you haven't received it, please contact us at 804.367.8031.

If you filed after September 5, please note that we’re issuing rebates in the order that taxpayers filed their returns.

Some taxpayers will receive the rebate by direct deposit and some will receive a paper check

If you received a refund by direct deposit this year, you’ll likely receive your rebate by direct deposit in the same bank account, with the description “VA DEPT TAXATION VATXREBATE.” All other eligible taxpayers will receive their rebate by paper check in the mail. 

  • If you've moved in the last year and have a current forwarding order with the USPS, then your check will be forwarded to your new address.
  • We’re not able to update your bank account information. If the bank account where you received your Virginia refund by direct deposit is closed, you’ll receive your rebate by paper check in the mail. 

Are you eligible?

Not every taxpayer is eligible. If you had a tax liability last year, you will receive up to $250 if you filed individually, and up to $500 if you filed jointly. Tax liability is the amount of tax you owe throughout the year minus any credits (like the credit for taxes you paid to another state or the credit for low income individuals), deductions, or subtractions.

You can check your eligibility using our rebate lookup tool. If you still have questions about your eligibility, check out these common scenarios for more information. 

Did you receive social security, unemployment, or disability income last year?
Was your adjusted gross income less than $11,950 (individuals) or $23,900 (joint) last year?
Did you take credits, like the low income tax credit, when you filed?
Do you owe money to a local or state agency or institution?
Did you have a tax liability when you filed?


Some taxpayers’ rebates will be reduced or withheld to satisfy existing debts

If you owe money to certain government agencies and institutions, we are required to use your rebate to satisfy that debt before sending you the remainder in a check. If you owe more than the amount of your rebate, we will send you a letter explaining the use of your rebate toward the debt. 

Do you need to pay taxes on the rebate?

If you itemized your deductions, you may be required to report the rebate amount you received as income on your federal return. You’ll receive a Form 1099G in the mail, just like you would if you received a state tax refund. If you took the standard deduction, you won’t need to take any additional action on your federal return related to the rebate. See the IRS website for more information.