How to File and Pay Sales and Use Tax
Virginia Tax requires businesses to file and pay most sales taxes electronically - we offer 3 free options to meet this requirement:
eForms - eForms look similar to the paper versions of returns. No login or password required. Simply fill in the required fields, and pay any tax due using direct debit. Available sales tax eForms:
- Retail Sales and Use Tax
- Business Consumer's Use (Form ST-7)
- Vending Machine Dealer's (Form VM-2)
- Motor Vehicle Rental (Form MVR-420)
- Communications Tax (Form CT-75)
- Business Online Services Account - just log in to your account and select "File/ Pay Taxes" and select the tax type you need to file or pay. Simply fill in the requested fields; there is no need to copy information from one form to the next. View account history and schedule payments in advance up to the due date. Business Account FAQs.
- Available for Retail Sales and Use Tax (Form ST-9 for in-state dealers, and Form ST-8 for out-of-state dealers), and Digital Media Fee (Form DM-1).
- Web Upload - Web Upload is file driven, with the ability to save all return and payment information into a single file to send to Virginia Tax. Similar systems are referred to as bulk filing or bulk uploading. Benefits include instant validation and feedback on your file content; you will know right away when your file is accepted or if there are any errors. You also have the ability to schedule (or warehouse) files for submission on a future date up to the due date of the return. Learn more.
- Available for Retail Sales and Use Tax, Form ST-9 (in-state dealers) and Form ST-8 (out-of-state dealers)
You may also pay using ACH Credit - You’ll need to contact your bank to make arrangements to credit the state’s bank account with funds from your bank account. Your bank may charge a fee for this service. Find detailed instructions about initiating ACH Credit transactions in our Electronic Payment Guide.