What is your online business account?
Your Business Account is a free and secure method to file and pay state taxes electronically. Your account will ask questions related to business amounts, schedules, payments, etc. and after you enter in your answers - submit it electronically to Virginia Tax.
In addition to file and payment features, your business account allows you to view your account history (up to 14 months), and update important business address, contact, and liability details - like adding or ending liability for a tax type.
What are the benefits of creating a Business Account?
- Free and secure way to quickly file and pay taxes online
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Performs all calculations for you
- Schedule/Warehouse your ACH Debit payment up to the return’s due date
- Save a draft to submit later
- Immediate confirmation
- Filing reminder emails
- View up to 14 months of account history
- Maintain accurate information about your business via your business profile
- Save on your mailing time and postage
- Help save taxpayer dollars by reducing paper processing and increasing efficiency in the Commonwealth
What taxes can I file and pay using my account?
Note: Only the taxes you have registered to file and pay will be displayed for you. You'll need to add tax types you didn't register for online.
- Sales and Use Tax
- ST-9 with Schedule ST-9B and ST-9R
- ST-9CO with Schedule ST-9B
- ST-8 with Schedule ST-8B and ST-8R
- ST-8 with Schedule ST-6B
- Employer Withholding Tax
- Corporation Income Tax
- Insurance Premiums License Tax – 800ES
- VEC Unemployment Tax – FC-20 and FC-21
How secure is my information?
Your internet session and file submission is encrypted in a secure environment, like Virginia Tax's other online systems. This means that your information is protected from any unauthorized access when it is submitted. You may also read about our privacy and security policies.
What do I need before starting?
- New Business – If you have not registered with Virginia Tax, you must register your business with us first. If you register online, you're automatically enrolled to use your business account to file online.
- Registered Business – you'll need the following information to create an account:
- 15 digit tax account number
- zip code of your business mailing address
- total amount due on most recently filed return (if you've filed a return with us).
Who is not eligible to file using their Business Account?
- Tax account is closed – You may be able to file unfiled periods that are less than 14 months old.
- Tax account period is not yet liable – business is not open yet or beginning liability date has not started
- Tax account has a filing frequency of occasional
File and Pay Taxes
Where do I file/pay after logging in?
Click on "File/Pay Taxes" and then click on the tax type return or payment you wish to make. When you click on the "File Now" action, the screens you need to file a specific filing period will display.
How can I tell if a period has been filed yet?
An unfiled period will display "Not Filed" and a filed period will display "Details." You also won't be able to see any payments or returns you filed using a different method.
Please note that a filed VA-6 period may display "Pending" until Virginia Tax finishes processing it.
Can I import or upload data?
No, your business account does not allow you to import or upload data.
Virginia Tax’s Web Upload system supports this option. Web Upload allows you to file and pay tax returns by uploading a file with specific information. This is an ideal solution for tax preparers who file for more than one client or businesses that have multiple sales tax business locations to report. See the Web Upload FAQs for details.
Can I file a zero tax return?
Yes. You are required to file a return based on your filing frequency.
If you have no liability for a particular period, you must still file a zero return. Select the tax type, the filing period and then enter zero (0) in the applicable amount fields. You may then "File the Return".
Can I amend my return?
No. You can only file and pay one return for a tax period.
If you have already filed a return and wish to amend it please submit an amended return on paper or see the eForms FAQs to determine if the eForms system supports your amending needs.
I saved a draft of my return. What happens if I don't come back and finish it?
The return will remain as a draft until you come back to complete and file it. There is no penalty for saving a draft and not returning to it, but you are still responsible for timely filing and paying your tax return with Virginia Tax.
How do I know my tax return and payment was filed? Will I get confirmation?
The status of your tax return is displayed on the tax type account screen. Visit "File/Pay Taxes" and "File/Pay (tax type)" to view the status. Once the return is filed, the status will change from "File Now" to "Details".
You will also receive a confirmation number that starts with "B" to indicate your tax return and payment was filed through your Business Account. Be sure to save and/or print this confirmation as filing proof.
Are there other types of payment options available using my Business Account?
Only bank debit payments are available, from either your checking or savings account.
You may however file your tax return using your business account and then pay the tax using an ACH Credit authorized through your bank. For more information on making an ACH Credit payment please see our Electronic Payment Guide.
What bank account information is required?
Before you can make a payment, you must define your bank account information and a bank contact. Visit "Manage Your Account" and "Update Bank Account" to provide your bank's routing number and your bank account number information.
You may define up to 2 different bank accounts for each registered tax type. For example, some customers wish to pay their sales tax from one bank account and their withholding tax from another bank account.
If you changed banks or opened a new bank account, you must update the bank account information. The new information will be reflected immediately; however, if any pending warehoused payments exist from your old account, those payments will not be made.
Can I choose a future date for my payment?
If you file your return before the due date, you may select a date in the future to have your payment debited from your bank account. This is called "warehousing" your payment.
The selected payment date must be between the current date and the due date of the return. The warehouse option is not available for any return filed after the due date.
When will the payment be withdrawn from my bank account?
You can specify any date up to and including the due date of the return. If the due date falls on a holiday or weekend, the funds will be withdrawn from the bank account on the next business day.
Can I change or delete the payment once it's been submitted?
- If the payment date has passed – you cannot delete the payment.
- You can call your bank and ask to have a stop payment placed on the transaction.
- Most banks will charge a fee to stop a payment.
- If the payment was warehoused – you can delete the payment prior to 2pm on the date you chose to have the account drafted.
- On the Home page, select the tax return and change the amount of the payment to $0.
- Select "Pay Now" so the change will be accepted.
- You must still make a payment in order to satisfy to amount due for that filing period.
Update Your Business Profile
What can I update in my business profile?
You can update most information about your business online:
- Primary business physical address
- Primary business mailing address
- Tax type specific mailing addresses
- Contact person
- Primary business contact
- Tax type contacts
- Email address
- Phone number
- Fax number
You may also:
- Add or update responsible officers associated with your business
- Print a copy of your Sales Tax Certificate
Can I add or close tax types and business locations?
Yes – these options exist under the “Update Your Business Profile” menu:
- End Liability for a Tax Account – Ex. You no longer have any paid employees and you then end your liability (responsibility) for Employer Withholding Tax.
- Add a Business Location – Ex. Your business grows to open another business location and you then add that new location to your account. Multiple locations can also be consolidated so that you file one return to represents all locations.
- Add a new Tax Type to Existing Account – Ex. You are only registered for Sales Tax and later decide to hire employees; you can then add Employee Withholding tax to your account.
- Close a Business Location or Close a Business completely – Inform Virginia Tax when you close your business, so we can mark your account inactive. Once inactive, we do not expect future tax return filings from your business.
How do I report ownership and business name changes?
- Change in Ownership of an existing business - the current owner must "Close" their Business and the new owner must "Register" as a New Business
- Change in Legal Business Name or Trading As Name, the owner must complete Form R-3
Manage Your Account
How do I manage the users for my account?
The majority of users are considered the "Master User" of their account and they control who else can have access to the account. A Master User may assign add, delete or modify users of their account.
The other two types of users are Approver and Preparer and each access is explained below. Each user type (Master, Preparer, Approver) has their own User ID and password.
- Master – Each company can have only one Master User.
- Defines the access rights for all other Business Account users from that company
- Must be authorized to file and pay state taxes for the business
- Defines the bank account information for paying taxes through ACH Debit
- Can perform all of the functionality of the Approver and Preparer types
- Can set-up six additional account users designated with Approver or Preparer abilities
- NOTE: To add or modify users, click on "Manage Your Account" and "User Maintenance".
- Preparer – Users can only prepare returns.
- Cannot file returns or authorize the payment of taxes due.
- Can automatically generate an email to notify an Approver of a completed return ready for review
- Approver – Users can file and pay company taxes.
- Has the ability to: modify input performed by the Preparer class, submit the tax form and complete the payment
- Can also perform all of the functions of the Preparer class
May I change my Business Account password?
Yes. It is important to periodically change your password.
A strong password is an important security tool and periodically changing your password will further help to protect your information. Never give your password out to anyone.
Why is it important to update my email address?
Please keep your email address up to date. We use your email address to:
- send you filing reminders 5 days before the due date
- send you filing confirmations
- provide you with a Temporary password if you forget your password
Can I send / receive a secure message via my business account?
Yes. Secure messaging is a safe and secure method for communicating with Virginia Tax regarding specific information about your account.
All messages sent from you or to you are encrypted using the highest level of commercially available encryption. All messages will remain in your account mailbox for one year.
Can I link my Virginia Tax and VEC accounts?
Yes – you may link the account in your Business Account if your Virginia Tax and VEC accounts have the same FEIN. This allows you to review all of your accounts at one time.
Accounts can be linked regardless of user type. Accounts can be unlinked for any of the following reasons: User information was changed (user ID, password, etc.), user was deleted by the "master user" or account is closed.