Welcome to Virginia Tax
Not your typical government agency.
What makes us different? Just ask our people. Here’s what they say they like about working here:
- Meaningful, challenging work – What we do matters. Our work funds the many government services Virginia’s citizens rely on in their daily lives.
- Open, collaborative environment – Working on teams – small or agency-wide – gives us a chance to collaborate with other employees and learn more about the agency while working toward a shared goal.
- The people – When you join the agency, you join the Virginia Tax family. It’s clear that your coworkers care about you and genuinely want you to succeed.
- Opportunities for growth – Employee development programs and opportunities for promotion make our agency a great place to build a career. It’s also not uncommon to move around the agency where your skills and interests take you.
- Commitment to excellence – We are constantly seeking better ways to do our work.
- Work/life balance – In addition to the state’s 12 paid holidays and generous leave policies, most of us have the option to plan our workdays around other priorities through alternative work schedules and flexible work hours.
- Ability to work from home – Over half of our employees telework at least one day a week, and another one-third work from home full-time. The opportunity to telework depends on your position and the nature of your work.
If you're looking for a career that will allow you to do challenging, important work, better balance your personal and professional life, all while serving Virginia's citizens, Virginia Tax might be the right fit for you. We offer a diverse range of exciting opportunities for individuals at all points in their career.
More About Us
Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, with approximately one-third of our employees home-based throughout Virginia and across the U.S., Virginia Tax administers 37 state and local taxes, including individual and corporate income taxes, sales and use taxes, and miscellaneous excise taxes. Over 8 million citizens rely on the revenue we collect to fund government services that affect their daily lives. Last year, we served approximately 5.5 million taxpayers and collected over $26.1 billion in revenue. Our employees work directly with individual and business taxpayers, retail organizations, local governments, members of the General Assembly, the Attorney General's Office and the Governor's Office to ensure the Commonwealth's revenue is collected and administered with fairness and due diligence.
We are driven by our mission to administer the tax laws of the Commonwealth with integrity and efficiency to support funding of government services for Virginia’s citizens. Our vision is to instill public confidence and achieve the highest level of voluntary compliance through the strength of our workforce, a culture of innovation, and leading-edge technology that safeguards taxpayer information and enhances the way we deliver our services.