Generally, if you have business activity in the Commonwealth of Virginia, you need to register your business with Virginia Tax.

The online registration process will only ask you for information that pertains to the type of business you have. You can start the registration process, save a draft, and come back later to complete your registration.

When you have completed your online registration, you will be assigned a Virginia Tax account number. It is important that you include your Virginia Tax account number on all tax returns, payments, and other information you file.

  • If your business will be collecting sales tax, a Certificate of Registration is provided at the end of your registration process. This is your permit to collect sales tax, and issue and receive exemption certificates. The Certificate of Registration must be displayed at your physical place of business.
  • If you plan to hire employees, you can easily register your business with the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) at the same time you register with Virginia Tax. VEC is responsible for collecting unemployment tax.

If you are unable to register online, download the Business Registration Form (R-1) to mail in or fax.

New Businesses

Most new businesses need to register with the IRS and/or State Corporation Commission before registering with Virginia Tax. Before registering with Virginia Tax, you'll need a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) from the IRS. Don't have one yet? You can get one in a matter of minutes through the IRS website.

New business resources:

Household Employers

If you employ household service employees, you may need to register with both Virginia Tax and VEC as a household employer. 

Household employees include:

  • Babysitters
  • Caretakers
  • Cleaning people
  • Domestic workers
  • Drivers
  • Yard workers
  • Health aides
  • Housekeepers
  • Maids
  • Nannies
  • Private nurses